Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
Just joined to ask if anyone has any tips on finding the Pencil and keyboard. I've seen other posts suggesting Verizon, but now they're out. Everyone is out. I googled expecting to find updated availability news by now -- all I found was old posts/articles in November and December. Here we are almost February and still no widespread availability?

Doesn't Apple usually catch up with production issues by now?

Any clever suggestions where to find one other than at 150%-200% the price on Craigslist? I know it's a long shot, just thought I'd ask.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
If you order from Apple you'll have them both in under two weeks. Meanwhile keep checking Verizon, Best Buy etc.

emaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
Managed to pick up the IPP, Pencil and keyboard today so probably not, but thanks. What's the Magic Keyboard though? I ended up with the Logitech Create, which seems decent.

In case this helps others .... how I got a Pencil was simple. First, I gave up on trying to find the Pencil. LOL .... I literally went to Best Buy when they opened to consider a lesser (and cheaper) alternative to the entire package, like an iPad Air 2 and a JOT stylus. When I asked for help, the salesperson told me they got in THREE Pencils overnight. And as of last night and all this morning it was NOT showing on their website as available.

Point being -- luck, and not trusting Best Buy's online inventory.

Has anyone had hands on with both the Logitech Create AND the Apple Smart Keyboard? How do they compare? I haven't had much time yet with the Create but from what I read it's MUCH thicker and heaver than the Apple. On the other hand, it also creates a completely enclosed clamshell for the IPP. So I'm wondering what other insights people might have from checking out both hands on.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
My local Best Buy (Clovis, CA) had both the Smart Keyboard and Pencil in stock today. Several of each. I was also able to order a Pencil from Best Buy this last Tuesday, and it arrived on Thursday. I was under the impression that they were coming into stock regularly now.

AntnyMikal

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
I ordered an Apple pencil from my local Best Buy when I purchased the IPP Saturday night, they have them in stock at their Central/coastal(Atlanta) warehouse, it was handed off to UPS Sunday evening and will deliver Tuesday. That's expedited shipping option as I'm an Elite Rewards member which has that option for free on all orders. The guy helping me said they were told they would start receiving stock in store within the next couple weeks give or take.

I've used both the smart keyboard and Create, while I like the slimness of the SK I picked the Create. It is backlit, feels better typing and also has shortcut keys as well as the added protection of being a case. It is also more stable and feels more like a traditional laptop, 20$ cheaper as well which I put towards the geeksquad 2yr protection/replacement warranty. Initially I thought it may be too big or clunky coming from an Air2 with only a Smart Cover, however it is ok. I used to carry a 13MBP around to school this is much lighter and a little thinner.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Has anyone had hands on with both the Logitech Create AND the Apple Smart Keyboard? How do they compare? I haven't had much time yet with the Create but from what I read it's MUCH thicker and heaver than the Apple. On the other hand, it also creates a completely enclosed clamshell for the IPP. So I'm wondering what other insights people might have from checking out both hands on.

There are a couple of threads here where this exact topic is debated extensively :)

I have both at the moment (for the second time) and prefer the Create. I kept reading so many good things about the ASK I had to try it again, but honestly, I don't get it. It seems like an origami disaster to me. If you only need a keyboard occasionally, like 10% of the time, and don't need a good stand, and don't want to save money not having to buy a back cover, and don't want an illuminated keyboard, and don't want shortcut keys then I suppose the ASK is pretty good. Otherwise you can't be everything the Create gives you. Side note... there have been some complaints about keystrokes dropping out when typing. There is a firmware update out for the Create which can only be applied once Apple rolls out the next iOS update, so be patient if you are experiencing that as it will be fixed. I personally never saw it, but read others had.

Pspressart

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
There are a couple of threads here where this exact topic is debated extensively :)

I have both at the moment (for the second time) and prefer the Create. I kept reading so many good things about the ASK I had to try it again, but honestly, I don't get it. It seems like an origami disaster to me. If you only need a keyboard occasionally, like 10% of the time, and don't need a good stand, and don't want to save money not having to buy a back cover, and don't want an illuminated keyboard, and don't want shortcut keys then I suppose the ASK is pretty good. Otherwise you can't be everything the Create gives you. Side note... there have been some complaints about keystrokes dropping out when typing. There is a firmware update out for the Create which can only be applied once Apple rolls out the next iOS update, so be patient if you are experiencing that as it will be fixed. I personally never saw it, but read others had.
I also have both, and I have been preferring the ASK. I don't like the weight of the Create keyboard, and even though I have to contend with the "origami" aspect, I prefer the flexibility of the ASK keyboard. One of the unsung features is the waterproof keyboard. I have a cat (my 13 year-old Siamese) who seems to be allergic to everything because she will suddenly sneeze and get cat-snot over everything, including the keyboard. With the ASK I can use a damp cloth to clean it off and not have to worry about moisture affecting the keys. I keep trying the Create keyboard, but I keep coming back to the ASK.

Reactions: artfossil

cc00lltt00nn

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Buford, GA
Just keep checking the pick-up availability online for your local Apple stores. I found a Smart Keyboard and Pencil (nearby) within two days. I've found that checking around 10:30 is usually when they update their stock quantities.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
I also have both, and I have been preferring the ASK. I don't like the weight of the Create keyboard, and even though I have to contend with the "origami" aspect, I prefer the flexibility of the ASK keyboard. One of the unsung features is the waterproof keyboard. I have a cat (my 13 year-old Siamese) who seems to be allergic to everything because she will suddenly sneeze and get cat-snot over everything, including the keyboard. With the ASK I can use a damp cloth to clean it off and not have to worry about moisture affecting the keys. I keep trying the Create keyboard, but I keep coming back to the ASK.

Exactly, people seem to really prefer one or the other, and honestly you probably don't know until you try both to see where you land.

Reactions: artfossil

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
I purchased the Create yesterday, I like the protection it offers, and I like the stability when in your lap. Is it a bit heavy, yeah but I will take protection and stability it gives you.

HoosierInFL

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
I really liked the actual keyboard on the Create, but it was just too heavy and bulky. I switched to the Smart Keyboard and I like it better overall. I do greatly miss the backlit keyboard and the Home button key.

As for finding the pencil, just keep calling the Apple Store. They get shipments several times a week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.