Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi there,

i'm looking to buy my first dslr (wuhoo for me! :) obviously by the subject title, i'm leaning heavily towards the pentax (like the fact it has shake reduction built into the body). anyhoo, i was told that this camera's only downside is that it really sucks up battery power.

i will be using NiMHs without a doubt as I use them for my Canon S3 (I have 2500's, but i'm looking for 2700's) - just wondering if anyone has any idea of many pictures I can get on one power up before the batteries need charging again?

Cheers,
Keebler

jpfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2006
New Jersey
Hi there,

i'm looking to buy my first dslr (wuhoo for me! :) obviously by the subject title, i'm leaning heavily towards the pentax (like the fact it has shake reduction built into the body). anyhoo, i was told that this camera's only downside is that it really sucks up battery power.

i will be using NiMHs without a doubt as I use them for my Canon S3 (I have 2500's, but i'm looking for 2700's) - just wondering if anyone has any idea of many pictures I can get on one power up before the batteries need charging again?

Cheers,
Keebler

I use rechargeable CRV-3 batteries in my *ist DL (same body design as the K100D) -- I can generally take at least two full memory cards (4 GB, shooting in RAW -- so 700 shots or so) without swapping batteries out.

I don't have any experience with NiMH, but the camera will chew through AA Alkaline throw-aways very, very quickly -- Lithium is the way to go.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
NiMH batteries work fairly well in the K100d. When I had one, I could use shoot 500-600 frames with them. YMMV.

GKThursday

macrumors regular
May 25, 2005
You should consider getting 12 packs of Energizer e^2 Lithiums, which run around 20$. I get around 1,500-2,000 shots before the battery meter even shows half full (but they go after about 100 shots at that point.) The Lithiums will give you faster autofocus (they are exactly 1.5v, unlike most rechargeables), and have a 12 year shelf life (unlike several weeks at most for rechareables.)

So for $20, you get 4,500 to 6,000 shots. At the very least, carry a spare set around, they can save your butt in a pinch.

~G

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
You should consider getting 12 packs of Energizer e^2 Lithiums, which run around 20$. I get around 1,500-2,000 shots before the battery meter even shows half full (but they go after about 100 shots at that point.) The Lithiums will give you faster autofocus (they are exactly 1.5v, unlike most rechargeables), and have a 12 year shelf life (unlike several weeks at most for rechareables.)

So for $20, you get 4,500 to 6,000 shots. At the very least, carry a spare set around, they can save your butt in a pinch.

~G

hey thanks GK (and the others too). i'll ask the sales rep about these. i'm at home most of the time so i'm able to recharge, but i certainly don't want to have them go out at the wrong time :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.