Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I was curios to know if anyone knew whether pentax is planning to institute lens stabilization in their new telephoto lenses. I have a Pentax K10D, but I am not sure whether these telephoto lenses, especially those at f 3.5-5.6, will benifit much from the on camera shake reduction, of which many say only allows around 2 stops.

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
I haven't heard anything about them adding stabilization to the lenses. I did hear that one of the 3rd party lens manufacturers latest lens actually has the "IS" disabled on the Pentax version (can't remember if it was Sigma or Tamron).
I find the in body stabilization works great though, I had a Nikon D200 for a while with a rather nice 70-200mm VR lens and to be honest my K10d with a Tamron 70-300 using the in body stabilization works much more effectively (regardless of what the reviews say)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I haven't heard anything about them adding stabilization to the lenses. I did hear that one of the 3rd party lens manufacturers latest lens actually has the "IS" disabled on the Pentax version (can't remember if it was Sigma or Tamron).

You wouldn't want in-body stabilization and in-lens stabilization both trying to run at the same time, I'd think.

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
You wouldn't want in-body stabilization and in-lens stabilization both trying to run at the same time, I'd think.

That's true, but on the K10d you can switch it off at the flick of a switch. It would nice to have the option of IS lenses that way you could decide which method you were going to use .

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm wasn't so sure if they would make image stabilized lenses, (and for the record I'm still not sure) but I heard one little tidbit this week that makes me think it may happen.

A major professional fashion shooter/Pentax spokesman located in Paris recently gave up on his professional relationship with Pentax, he's still going to use their products and has sworn off accepting sponsorships from any maker in the future (he dumped Canon for Pentax when the K10D came out, claims he wanted access to their prime lenses).

Anyway, now that he's not an official Pentax employee, he can shed some light on some secrets that he was being pressured to keep. This week he authored a thread claiming that he's nearly certain that Pentax and Samsung will be releasing a Full Frame professional camera very soon, later this year or else in 2009. A good many of Pentax's older FA series lenses are still in production, and reportedly they've been making some of the DA* lenses able to cover the full frame as well in preparation. Of course this is pure speculation until it happens but he's been right on with every other hint he's dropped in the past and claims to have been informed about it just before he quit.

How does this apply to stabilized lenses? Well many are of the opinion that camera based shake reduction would be nearly impossible with a full frame sized sensor, and if it could be managed, it almost certainly wouldn't be effective enough to include. This means that there's a high probability that either Pentax will begin to include stabilized lenses in their lineup, or they will do what they did in the 35 mm days and offer no stabilization at all.

SLC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.