Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shizz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Whats up everyone? Im new to the forum and new to photography.... Im interested in the pentax k-x in white but it doesnt come in the same kit lens packages as the black..... If I do get the white k-x should i still get the pentax 50-200 or 50-300mm lens? I really like the wide fisheye lens but they are out of my price range ($600) and my thinking is I really want to learn the basics first.. Thanks in advance

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The longer the range of a zoom lens, the worse its optical quality will be. So out of those two, I'd recommend the 50-200mm. However, keep in mind the real bonus of owning a Pentax camera: the ability to use very affordable vintage lenses. You can meter with and mount any Pentax K-mount lens ever made, and you can even meter with the M42 lenses so long as you mount them with an adapter (very inexpensive little piece of metal). So if you don't mind focusing manually, you can save a ton of money by learning your chops on some vintage glass.

polotska

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
Excellent point about the older Pentax lenses. I've still got a stash of the M42 lenses that I've had for ages (28mm f/3.5, 35mm f.2.0, 2 or 3 50mm f/1.4, 105mm f/2.8, 135mm f/3.5, 200mm f/4.0).

I've always preferred the results of prime lenses to even pro-grade zooms.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Hi. I looked this up on Amazon. Do you mean the kit with two lenses? The Kx I saw all came with 18-55mm lenses except for a kit with the long zoom you mentioned. Stay away from long zooms for an entry level camera like the Kx. I would get the 18-55 and learn the camera first. Then see if you need or want something different. I have a Tamron 28-300 on my Canon XSi and find I shoot mostly at 28-55mm. I will do better with the Tamron 18-55, if I can afford it with this other lens I want. Check on the compatibility of Tamron lenses with the Kx. I have been pleased with the quality I get from mine. They make lenses for the K(insert number) cameras. The Kx may be a special case. I don't know.

Dale

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
The longer the range of a zoom lens, the worse its optical quality will be. So out of those two, I'd recommend the 50-200mm. However, keep in mind the real bonus of owning a Pentax camera: the ability to use very affordable vintage lenses. You can meter with and mount any Pentax K-mount lens ever made, and you can even meter with the M42 lenses so long as you mount them with an adapter (very inexpensive little piece of metal). So if you don't mind focusing manually, you can save a ton of money by learning your chops on some vintage glass.

In this case despite it's larger zoom range, it's actually the 55-300mm that rates better among users, I've read when stopped down this lens's resolution becomes very close to that of the professional grade DA* 300mm f/4.0.
The 50-200mm rates rather poorly, the 55-300mm is a newer lens.
Everywhere I read people are recommending the 55-300mm over the 50-200mm (it is more pricey though).

There's a great resource over at PentaxForums.com, with user lens reviews for most of the lenses Pentax has ever produced:
link (You'd be looking under DA zooms up the top).

I would personally go for the 55-300mm if I were in the situation.

And yes, as Phrasikleia mentioned you can get some great bargains on some very high quality glass, I picked up a 50mm f/1.4 K mount for ten bucks the other week (it was a great find but you can get f/1.7 50mms off eBay for under $70).

For a long telephoto zoom however you may find manual focusing rather tedious especially if your subject is moving at all, I reckon go with the 55-300mm looks like a really great lens.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
In this case despite it's larger zoom range, it's actually the 55-300mm that rates better among users, I've read when stopped down this lens's resolution becomes very close to that of the professional grade DA* 300mm f/4.0.
The 50-200mm rates rather poorly, the 55-300mm is a newer lens.
Everywhere I read people are recommending the 55-300mm over the 50-200mm (it is more pricey though).

There's a great resource over at PentaxForums.com, with user lens reviews for most of the lenses Pentax has ever produced:
link (You'd be looking under DA zooms up the top).

I would personally go for the 55-300mm if I were in the situation.

And yes, as Phrasikleia mentioned you can get some great bargains on some very high quality glass, I picked up a 50mm f/1.4 K mount for ten bucks the other week (it was a great find but you can get f/1.7 50mms off eBay for under $70).

For a long telephoto zoom however you may find manual focusing rather tedious especially if your subject is moving at all, I reckon go with the 55-300mm looks like a really great lens.

A superzoom worth buying? Interesting. I learn something new every day. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.