Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balofagus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Just thought I'd post, in case anyone cares.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/pentax_09132006_k10d_pr.html

Key Points
- Shake Reduction
- 10mp (I've heard both that its Sony and Samsung, and from what I saw, the PR doesn't say)
- Weather Sealing
- Dust Removal System
- New Proprietary Li-Ion Battery (as apposed to AAs in K100D and K110D)

And all for under $1000 ($999.95 with 18-55mm kit lens). Sounds nice but I think it's a little too much for me personally; I'm quite happy with my K100D :)

- Also got a new 70mm f2.4 lens
- and a battery grip for use with this camera

balofagus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Didn't notice that Abstract. That seems even more stupid seeing as my K100D offers up to 3200 (but doesn't have 100). Maybe a consistent typo :confused: ? And the K100D is fantastic :D

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
balofagus said:
Didn't notice that Abstract. That seems even more stupid seeing as my K100D offers up to 3200 (but doesn't have 100). Maybe a consistent typo :confused: ? And the K100D is fantastic :D

That's good to hear that the K100 is good. I have not used it yet because I only have 6x7 lens and the adaptor is on order.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
balofagus said:

Yeah, consistent typos throughout that Hands on Preview. I like how they say it takes SD cards, but later they mention the continuous shooting using a CF card. Oh, and 2.4 fps on the preview model? Of course the released model would perform better, or at least you'd hope so.

But anyway, this does look like an excellent camera with a great amount of control on the camera body. I don't like going into menus for ISO, White Balance, and other controls I use often, but this camera body provides so much.

balofagus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Haha, that little bit about the CF cards confused the heck out of me. The menus aren't too bad if it's anything like the K100D. Function > (left button for WB)(right for ISO) > make your choice. But they probably should have come up with something a little quicker for the "pro shooters" however since I've only used Auto WB so far :)p) and don't have to change ISO too much while I shoot I'm good with it.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Remains to be seen how good a picture taker this is, but the specs sound more than good...these are really great specs. Max ISO of 1600 is fine with me as long as noise is nicely controlled without loss of detail.

Pentax will also be releasing a new set of hypersonic lenses by the end of the year, which the new mount contacts support.

Looks like a real contender.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, agreed. I'd never use the camera at ISO 3200 anyway, but I always thought that people expected that sort of spec if buying a camera aimed above the D50, 350D, and say the *ist DS/K100D crowd.

I'm really interested to know how well this thing takes photos. I hope it's better than the A100 in terms of noise performance. I really want to know who makes the sensor on this thing if it's not Sony. :confused:

And I hope Nikon comes out with a dust removal system as well. It's not that I think we all need it, but just to stay competitive on the consumer end.

Clix Pix said:
Think I'll stick to my Nikons, thank you just the same.....
I don't know why you posted here just to say something snooty.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
I WANT ONE NOW!!!!:cool: :D :eek: :D

Seriously, I am going to have a really hard time not buying this despite the fact I shouldn't spend the money. I'm very excited about dust sealing, shake reduction and most of all, they kept the beautiful pentaprism with 0.95x magnification which is the brightest and clearest of any on the market anywhere near the price range.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Abstract said:
I don't know why you posted here just to say something snooty.

Agreed. It's been a while since I have done any photography, I forgot how territorial some people get about their equipment, particularly some Nikon owners. I find it very amusing. You can take good photography without the aid of a Nikon. ;)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
ATD said:
Agreed. It's been a while since I have done any photography, I forgot how territorial some people get about their equipment, particularly some Nikon owners. I find it very amusing. You can take good photography without the aid of a Nikon. ;)

I guess it wasn't enough that the clones have their own thread and tell everyone else to keep out. However, she recently stepped up from a Coolpix 8800 and I don't know of anyone who uses that camera who likes it.

I celebrate any camera company that isn't Canon but if it weren't for companies like Pentax and Olympus, would Nikon and Canon keep arriving at good, new ideas?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Well....sorry I stepped on toes here! I guess my comment was a bit snarky at that. Sorry! I'm really not as snobbish as that comment makes me sound....

Bousozoku, although you're correct in that I have used a CP 8800 in the past -- it's sitting in the storage closet now -- I've been using digital SLRs for well over a year and a half. Went from the CP 8800, which frustrated the heck out of me, to the D70, then in November of last year pre-ordered the D200, which I received in mid-December and which I've been happily using ever since. My only complaint about that camera is that it keeps demanding that I buy it more lenses! :D

Prior to using digital SLRs I used a couple of Minolta SLRs before buying my first Nikon (the N90) back in the early 1990's. I've got fond memories of those Minoltas and learned a lot on them! Even back then, though, for many people the gold standard was Nikon and as soon as I could afford one I eagerly went to the camera shop.

You may be thinking of Seenew, who has just recently moved on from his CP 8800. He is one of the few people I know who has managed to get some truly wonderful images from that camera. I am really looking forward to seeing his future images now that he's got a DSLR! Anyway, yes, the CP 8800 was a disappointment to many users, which is a shame because it does have a wonderful lens and does great Macros.

It will be interesting to see how this new Pentax fares in the marketplace and how well it produces images...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Clix Pix said:
Bousozoku, although you're correct in that I have used a CP 8800 in the past -- it's sitting in the storage closet now -- I've been using digital SLRs for well over a year and a half. Went from the CP 8800, which frustrated the heck out of me, to the D70, then in November of last year pre-ordered the D200, which I received in mid-December and which I've been happily using ever since. My only complaint about that camera is that it keeps demanding that I buy it more lenses! :D
You may be thinking of Seenew, who has just recently moved on from his CP 8800. He is one of the few people I know who has managed to get some truly wonderful images from that camera. I am really looking forward to seeing his future images now that he's got a DSLR! Anyway, yes, the CP 8800 was a disappointment to many users, which is a shame because it does have a wonderful lens and does great Macros.

It will be interesting to see how this new Pentax fares in the marketplace and how well it produces images...

No, I wasn't thinking of anyone else. :) I'm glad you're pleased with your camera and your ever-growing list of lenses.

I have no doubt that the K10D will be producing great images for someone, although it won't be me. It won't be the new Olympus body they introduced today, either.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Clix Pix said:
Well....sorry I stepped on toes here! I guess my comment was a bit snarky at that. Sorry! I'm really not as snobbish as that comment makes me sound....

No problem, I'm glad you responded. Over the years I have run into my share of extremely obnoxious Nikon owners, it gives the rest of the Nikon owners a bad name. My gold standard is Hasselblad, but since I don't have that kind of money lying around for a hobby I got into the Pentax 6x7 instead and I have been shooting with it for about 15 years. I have a fortune tied up in 6x7 lens so I'm very very happy to now have a digital back for them. As soon as I get an adaptor I might even start taking pictures again. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.