Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Is the Pentax lens a K-mount or screw-mount lens?
You can use a screw-mount lens on a Nikon with an adapter but the lens will be limited (and may not actually work on the digital bodies ... it works on my F4 (that's a film camera)). However, you cannot use a bayonet mount on a Nikon ... I believe.

Why would you even bother? Don't waste your money on glass like this ... at least get Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina if you're going to get something other than Nikon (many of those have stellar competitors to Nikon's brand).

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Yes you can with an adapter.

Unfortunately, with the thickness of Nikon bodies, it requires an adapter with a corrective lens that degrades the quality of the original lens.

If you own a Nikon, you're better off using actual Nikon lenses.

Good luck!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I Have a Nikon D90 and I have been shopping for lenses, something that would go to 200 or even 300mm and found this one that is relatively cheaper than the Nikon lenses but was wondering if any knows if I can use a pentax lens on my Nikon D90.

Pentax smc DA 55-300mm f4.0-5.8 ED
http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=7022&sd=specs

Thank you!

No. When you decide on a company, Nikon, Canon, Pentax or whichever you are pretty much stuck with them untill you sell everything and start over. After a while you will have several Nikon lenses andthen when it's time to replace the body, of cource you will want to keep using those lenses so you will buy a Nikon body.

You really do not want that lens anyway, even if it could work. f/5.6 is slow and f/5.8 is even slower. Nikon's autofocus system is only spec's to work with f/5.6 (or better) lenses. (Although I know it works better.)

If budget is an issue look for a USED Nikon 70-210 f/5.6 lens. They are up to 20 years old now but one of the best low cost zooms Nikon made. They are "full frame" and require a body with a motor (like your D90) Good ones sell for just over $100.

Much better to buy a used Nikon than a new third party lens

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
No. When you decide on a company, Nikon, Canon, Pentax or whichever you are pretty much stuck with them untill you sell everything and start over. After a while you will have several Nikon lenses andthen when it's time to replace the body, of cource you will want to keep using those lenses so you will buy a Nikon body.

You really do not want that lens anyway, even if it could work. f/5.6 is slow and f/5.8 is even slower. Nikon's autofocus system is only spec's to work with f/5.6 (or better) lenses. (Although I know it works better.)

If budget is an issue look for a USED Nikon 70-210 f/5.6 lens. They are up to 20 years old now but one of the best low cost zooms Nikon made. They are "full frame" and require a body with a motor (like your D90) Good ones sell for just over $100.

Much better to buy a used Nikon than a new third party lens
What you have said is true, but keep in mind that you can use a lot of non-Canon lenses on Canon EOS, including the following: Pentax, Vivitar, Nikon, Leitz. All you need is a Canon EOS mount, but most must be focused manually. Some have electrical contacts for the lens to communicate with the camera, but only for the light meter and such, the rest is manual, since these are manual lenses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.