Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blujein

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Australia
I am contemplating purchasing a new Apple MacBook, which would primarily be used for browsing, messaging, and writing. The MacBook may also be used occasionally for basic graphic design (using Adobe Photoshop).

I do not require the MacBook to feature a particularly large storage capacity (the 256GB PCI-based onboard flash storage option available with the base model would be sufficient).

I am unsure, however, about whether the difference between the 1.1GHz dual-core Intel Core m3 processor Turbo Boost up to 2.2GHz option and the 1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core m5 processor Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz option is significant enough to justify the $450 price difference...

Can someone please provide me with advice about this?

funtoosh

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2010
I'm not into designing, but i do use pixelmator sometimes for minor editing, i'm mostly into Server Management, and my M5 based MB works great without any lag, not sure how well is photoshop going to perform in these M services CPU

I'm not sure about performance different between M3 and M5, it's best if you can get a chance to test them both in some apple store

ajpuciat

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2015
I am contemplating purchasing a new Apple MacBook, which would primarily be used for browsing, messaging, and writing. The MacBook may also be used occasionally for basic graphic design (using Adobe Photoshop).

I do not require the MacBook to feature a particularly large storage capacity (the 256GB PCI-based onboard flash storage option available with the base model would be sufficient).

I am unsure, however, about whether the difference between the 1.1GHz dual-core Intel Core m3 processor Turbo Boost up to 2.2GHz option and the 1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core m5 processor Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz option is significant enough to justify the $450 price difference...

Can someone please provide me with advice about this?
As far as benchmark scores go, the difference is pretty significant. If you want to have a faster processor and save a little bit of money you can get the 256gig with the m7 for an additional $200-250 I believe

looking4anotebo

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
That M3 looks plenty fast to me looking at the real world results. It beats all the 2015 models and hangs quite well with the M5 and M7, only getting handled in the FCPX test by the M7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.