Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Devoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Denmark
By this time, the performance of the macbook pro has probably been debated quite a lot. But i think it deserves more of a beating, when it comes to performance when hooked up to an external monitor - especially those of higher resolutions.

I have always been quite pleased with the performance of my standard early 13" Macbook pro. But ever since i bought a 28" 4k screen in order to expand my screen real estate for work, i've been pulling whats left of my hair out of my head due to the dismal drop in performance. Now i know that the Macbook's integrated graphics card doesn't exactly save lives. But come on, i mean, the resolution of the built in screen runs at 2560x1600, which is quite high too. Of course the "need of muscles-curve" is not linear, but i should at least be able to stream a video in 4k from Youtube without dropping half of the frames. And not having the intel GPU core throttling above 100º C.

The Macbook Pro should, as the name implies, be able to handle pro tasks. Now correct me if im wrong, but don't see any "Pros" sitting around working on a 13" screen on a daily basis. So this shouldn't be a tall order!

This might be yet another band-wagon bashing of Apple's pursuit of thinness. But i personally think that it has gotten too far. In my opinion, it would be better of being 20% thicker, but in return rocking a dedicated GPU and some decent quad-core processor.

For heavens sake, im looking into buying a Razer! I never thought i would stoop so low - but Apple is forcing my hand! Am i the only one having these thoughts? Is it worth waiting for the next generation? Will anything change?

TheOkeland

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2017
Aachen, Germany
This might be yet another band-wagon bashing of Apple's pursuit of thinness. But i personally think that it has gotten too far. In my opinion, it would be better of being 20% thicker, but in return rocking a dedicated GPU and some decent quad-core processor.

And why don't you get a 15-inch model? There you have your dGPU and quad-core.
You wont find a 13-inch model with this specs. And as far as i know, there has never been a 13-inch model with dGPU and quad-core.
Making the Laptop thicker does not really makes a big difference. Just increasing the thickness, does not solve cooling- and battery-problems, also MagSafe was unable to deliver more than 90W.

Devoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Denmark
And why don't you get a 15-inch model? There you have your dGPU and quad-core.
You wont find a 13-inch model with this specs. And as far as i know, there has never been a 13-inch model with dGPU and quad-core.

Well the Razer Blade comes with a GTX 1060 at 17,9mm against the new Macbook Pro's 14,9mm - so it should be possible. (and of course 0,7" larger) The power supply should be the least of the concerns. I'm not an electrical engineer, but i can only imagine that the geeks at Apple would be able to put more juice through the Macsafe port.

About the 15" Macbook Pro. Well i for one would never even briefly think about cashing out that much. Especially with the other options out there with waaaaaay better specs at the same price. I could eat the price tag of the 13" but the 15" is just too pricy for me.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
Well the Razer Blade comes with a GTX 1060 at 17,9mm against the new Macbook Pro's 14,9mm - so it should be possible. (and of course 0,7" larger) The power supply should be the least of the concerns. I'm not an electrical engineer, but i can only imagine that the geeks at Apple would be able to put more juice through the Macsafe port.

About the 15" Macbook Pro. Well i for one would never even briefly think about cashing out that much. Especially with the other options out there with waaaaaay better specs at the same price. I could eat the price tag of the 13" but the 15" is just too pricy for me.

This is an annoying answer but the reality is it's a dual core with IGPU, it's going to struggle with an external 4k monitor in addition to it's display if you put any heavy load on it.

Quad core is your best best but unfortunately it just isn't there.

At the end of the day it's pushing a very large amount of pixels and in addition to running whatever program you've got going on there is likely to be a slight degradation in performance.

croco_dile

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2016
Is the dGPU in the 15" going to make any performance difference on the external 4K monitor? even for everyday 2D usages such as browse internet, MS office and Lightroom photo editing?

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
The 2016 13-inch does much better with a 4k display than the 2015 13-inch, due to a considerable jump in the iGPU. With that said, when driving a lot of pixels, a dGPU is always going to have quite an edge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.