Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snorsh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I have a microsoft external keypad, bluetooth, I believe it is a 1558 model. I have looked how to connect it to my MacBook Pro, however all the sites say to turn it on. It does not have a power switch. The battery was replaced today. My question is this, is there a number or key. or combination of keys that will turn on a the discoverable bluetooth or is there an alternate way of getting my mac to see the device? If there isn't I have 5 CR2430 batteries for sale. Thanks Iain

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
okay everyone all together:

"What Year is the MacBook!"
and
"What OS are we Running?"

then we can sing and dance on this celebration day.....

Snorsh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Screenshot 2024-08-28 at 16.31.32.png

That help?

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
I have a microsoft external keypad, bluetooth

did that ever work with the MBP/
what I need to do periodically is to turn off BT on my Macs, then turn on.
also the system presences has a keyboard section were that will scan for any bluetooth keyboard
that is compatible with  Ventura.

 does not play great with 3rd party BT things this decade.
my Satechi BT KB needs to be plugged into a usbC charger to launch every morning when I turn on the
Mac mini running Monterey, then that works perfectly all day.

there should be a entry code on the first connection that Ventura selects, not the user.
this way the MBP knows that the BT device is the owners, not the next door neighbors or a patron at a cafe.

'hoped this helped......

Snorsh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I have a microsoft external keypad, bluetooth

did that ever work with the MBP/
what I need to do periodically is to turn off BT on my Macs, then turn on.
also the system presences has a keyboard section were that will scan for any bluetooth keyboard
that is compatible with  Ventura.

 does not play great with 3rd party BT things this decade.
my Satechi BT KB needs to be plugged into a usbC charger to launch every morning when I turn on the
Mac mini running Monterey, then that works perfectly all day.

there should be a entry code on the first connection that Ventura selects, not the user.
this way the MBP knows that the BT device is the owners, not the next door neighbors or a patron at a cafe.

'hoped this helped......
Unfortunately that did not work. I even tried pulling the battery and reinserting it while my macbook was searching, found my Logitech mouse straight away. I get the feeling that it needs to piggy back off a microsoft blue tooth keyboard
from what I have been reading anyway. Thanks for your reply though.

Reactions: MBAir2010

Apathist

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2024
I get the feeling that it needs to piggy back off a microsoft blue tooth keyboard from what I have been reading anyway.

Is this the suite of desktop accessories of which the keypad was a part?

If so, I gather from the product description and the customer Q&As that the keypad will function as a standalone device, but only paired with the actual 2.4GHz dongle that came with the set (it's not Bluetooth).

Reactions: kitKAC

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Isn't there a pairing button on the bottom of the keypad, that you hold until the LED starts to flash?
Then, go to bluetooth settings, where you can add a bluetooth device. While the pairing LED flashes on the bottom, your Mac should find it aa a bluetooth device.
No button on the bottom? No LED of any kind? Then, likely, the above post is more accurate, and maybe you have to use the USB dongle that came with the complete kit (keyboard, mouse and keypad), because the keypad is not bluetooth.

Snorsh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Is this the suite of desktop accessories of which the keypad was a part?

If so, I gather from the product description and the customer Q&As that the keypad will function as a standalone device, but only paired with the actual 2.4GHz dongle that came with the set (it's not Bluetooth).
Yes, I thought this was the case. I couldn't find a definitive answer, thank you for your time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.