Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psionicsin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Metro-Detroit, MI
I'm running into a weird issue where some apps won't update.

The applications ARE in the Applications folder, however it tells me that the applications can't be updated because they're on a read-only drive and that I need to place them into my Applications folder to update them.

So, cool story, but they're already in there. What do I do to correct this problem???

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Are these third party apps? I read somewhere that Sierra places third party apps in a randomly generated folder then only makes it look like they are still in /Applications, when they really are not. This is to fence in third party apps from evil doing.

I'm wondering if that is breaking the update mechanism for your third party apps?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I read somewhere that Sierra places third party apps in a randomly generated folder then only makes it look like they are still in /Applications, when they really are not. This is to fence in third party apps from evil doing.

Correct. Applications that didn’t come from signed installer packages or signed disk images will be placed into a random hidden path at execution to prevent them from accessing external components. However, Apple did say that this mechanism should not kick in if the application was moved to /Applications separately by the user or was installed before the upgrade.

Who knows what the problem is, it is a beta after all. Could be a bug. Unless the directory permissions of /Applications have changed, this should work. The OP might want to try downloading new copies of the apps and then move the .app files one by one to the /Applications directory.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Are you booting off of an external drive? It could be mistaking them for the Macintosh HD versions vs. your external versions...

psionicsin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Metro-Detroit, MI
Ok so I did in fact say that all of this was local. Therefore, no external anything is being used.

And the thing is that not all 3rd party apps are doing this. (IE. CodeKit/Github/Sequel Pro are just fine, Sketch/Atom.io/CyberDuck are not).

I can see if it was ALL apps...but it's not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.