Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doug Lass

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
OK, this is funny. I have an iPhone contact with e-mail address listed, but that contact has the Facetime button greyed out in Contacts. Now, if I go to the Facetime app, I have no trouble Facetiming them at that e-mail address. Why is that button greyed out? I am led to believe that happens if the phone number isn't an iPhone. That's fine, except I'm not Facetiming them on an iPhone via a telephone number. I'm Facetiming them on an iPhone via an e-mail address.

Last edited:

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
OK, this is funny. I have an iPhone contact with e-mail address listed, but that contact has the Facetime button greyed out in Contacts. Now, if I go to the Facetime app, I have no trouble Facetiming them at that e-mail address. Why is that button greyed out? I am led to believe that happens if the phone number isn't an iPhone. That's fine, except I'm not Facetiming them on an iPhone via a telephone number. I'm Facetiming them on an iPhone via an e-mail address.
Had a similar issue with a person I know that owns an iPhone. My issue was that the FaceTime and iMessages symbols were not present on their contact on my iPhone. I had to add their Apple ID / email address into my contacts to get this to work. Still don’t know why this was the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.