Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I'd like a lens hood for my 18-55mm kit lens, but I don't like the look of the Nikon branded one. I noticed on eBay that there are some petal shaped hoods which would fit my lens. They're also a lot cheaper than the Nikon one. Would a petal shape work on my lens, or would I be better off sticking with the Nikon?
Thanks!

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
The reason the hood for the lens is not petal shape is because the front element rotates when focusing. When it does, the hood also rotates, and you'll get black corners in your pictures if the hood isn't wide enough. The cut-out corners won't always be in the same place if it rotates.

In other words, don't use a petal hood on the 18-55. Stick with the Nikon one, or just buy a generic rubber screw-on hood for about $8.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
The reason the hood for the lens is not petal shape is because the front element rotates when focusing. When it does, the hood also rotates, and you'll get black corners in your pictures if the hood isn't wide enough. The cut-out corners won't always be in the same place if it rotates.

In other words, don't use a petal hood on the 18-55. Stick with the Nikon one, or just buy a generic rubber screw-on hood for about $8.

Darn, thought this may be an issue. I just find the petal shaped hoods look so much more professional. Oh well, if I want a petal hood it looks like I'll need a snazzy new lens... shucks ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.