Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
In the Spring of 2022, I bought my first-ever and only Mac Mini, an Apple-certified refurbished model with 16 GB RAM and a 2 GB SSD on-board. It was an experiment I had wanted to do, and I had COVID money sitting in the bank, and decided to go for it.

For the past couple of years, the Mac Mini has been connected to a 15+ year-old Acer AL1716W color LCD monitor via adaptor to VGA. I use an Apple Magic Track Pad and a Logitech keyboard. I miss not having Apple's fingerprint ID available, but my 2022 iPhone SE can be used in many circumstances for authentication. I also have the Mac Mini plugged-into a couple of Logitech desktop speakers.

I just bought a PHILIPS Creator Series 27E2F7901 27" 4K UHD IPS Black Display which features built-in HDMI, USB-C, Built-in KVM, Height Adjustable, Daisy Chain, PD 96W and also 90º pivot viewing. I eventually want to get a Monitor arm for this display. I bought it off Amazon for only $300, which isn't bad. I also bought a Satechi Aluminum Stand Hub for the Mac Mini. I also bought a Logitech Brio 101 web-cam.

I was naturally thinking of a couple of issues. The Mac Mini, as well as two much-older iMacs, all call a portable 8-foot-long dining table with foldable metal legs their home. The table is deteriorating (It's been used as a computer desk for well over 15 years.) I am concerned about cable management and safety. The family has a part-wild very rambunctious Australian Sheppard dog that occasionally bangs around when it get rowdy. This usually isn't a problem but once it did run under the table, getting caught in the cables and yanking the Mac Mini and the Acer off the table. No damage, but everything came unplugged and had to be set back up and replugged and restarted.

I was thinking of simplifying the whole setup by somehow attaching the Mac Mini and the Satechi to the backside of the Phillips monitor. I was wondering if anybody else had done this, and what the best way of doing it would be, and how to handle cable management (I do plan to occasionally pivot the monitor to use in "portrait mode" (sideways to view some documents). Does anyone know of any YouTube videos that show how people did this with a Mac Mini? Is there a way to do this without defacing the monitor? I imagine that, any time I would turn the Phillips monitor sideways for document viewing, there would be two issues: (1: how the power cable for the Mac Mini would be situated so rotation would not become a problem, and (2: overall cable management to keep it from becoming a pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.