Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
iPhone 12Pro, pretty sure this was happening on my 11Pro before.
I am seeing the phone ring on incoming calls, but not all of them, when the the ring/silent/mute switch is on Mute.
I also see the phone not ring, this happens more rarely, when the mute switch is in the Ring position.

I checked the contacts, and I do not have any contacts set up as Emergency Bypass under contact's ringtone -- so that's not it.

Then I read this, which literally knocked me off my chair, but even this does not consistently explain my issue.

Learn about the buttons and switches on your iPhone.

Ring/Silent
Use the ring/silent switch to mute sounds and alerts.

If the switch shows orange, it means your iPhone is in silent mode and will vibrate for incoming calls or alerts. When in silent mode, the alarms you set in the Clock app will still sound, and calls from Favorite contacts will still ring.

Thoughts anyone?

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Been happening for a while now, pissing me off as well. ?

Doesn’t always happens, when it does happen the ringtone is very low.

Reactions: k.alexander

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Been happening for a while now, pissing me off as well. ?
Right. I'd say this has been happening for probably the better part of two years. Don't know if resetting any settings would help--really don't want to do it either; likewise, don't know if setting up the phone from scratch would help, probably would--but no way I'm doing that.

Reactions: Goldchampagne

SCP

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2017
This has been a problem for some time (ringing with switch on mute). Happened on my 11P, XS as well as my 12P. Even worse is that in 14.4 the ringer just mysteriously shifts from volume turned down to "1" to full blast on its own - buttons turned off for ringer volume. Hopefully there will be a fix in 14.5 for that specifically, as far as the ringing while on mute, I'm not expecting a fix, that's been an existing issue for too long now...

Reactions: LFC2020
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.