Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Hi
I did search it, but could not find a thread on this. I'm sure there must be.

Meanwhile... could anybody recommend me an application (preferealy free) for managing photos?
I do like iPhoto, but I feel I can use something better.

Suggestions?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Hi

Meanwhile... could anybody recommend me an application (preferealy free) for managing photos?

Suggestions?

Picasa. Otherwise stick with iPhoto and learn how it works.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi

Suggestions?

If you want meaningful suggestions you are going to have to tell us what you don't like about iPhoto. For example it you think it is to hard to use then you do not want to have me suggest Aperture. But if you want to be able to edit using non-destructive adjustment layers you are going to have to go with Photoshop.

iPhoto is a good place to start and I always advice to use iPhoto until you can list specific reasons why you don't like it. Yes there are reasons not to use it

I think maybe the way to say it is that there is no "better" but only "better suited to your needs".

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Picasa. Otherwise stick with iPhoto and learn how it works.

+1. Most folks issues w/iPhoto stems from not understanding it.

Also, I don't think there is anything better than iPhoto on the Mac that is free. Some like other applications they pay for, but aside from Picasa, I am not aware of any other robust free tool on the Mac that could supplant iPhoto.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
If you want meaningful suggestions you are going to have to tell us what you don't like about iPhoto. For example it you think it is to hard to use then you do not want to have me suggest Aperture. But if you want to be able to edit using non-destructive adjustment layers you are going to have to go with Photoshop.

iPhoto is a good place to start and I always advice to use iPhoto until you can list specific reasons why you don't like it. Yes there are reasons not to use it

I think maybe the way to say it is that there is no "better" but only "better suited to your needs".

This is really well said - a thoughtful post.

To the OP - another question: what do you mean by "managing" photos? Editing? Or asset management?

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
This is really well said - a thoughtful post.

To the OP - another question: what do you mean by "managing" photos? Editing? Or asset management?

Thanks! indeed I did not express myself well

I meant something that has more editing options, and also, how do I manage or organize my pictures better in iPhoto? Better in the sense that it makes too many copies, I´ve found photos that I´ve deleted a long time ago, and by using whatsize I´ve found them in some hidden folder.

I have photoshop, but I don´t know how to use it very well... hehehe..

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Actually iPhoto editing is enough for most purpose, what kind of editing are you looking for? selective editing? masks? curves?

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
If iPhoto is not enough of an editor for you and you have photoshop (or photoshop essentials) then you don't need anything else for editing. "Managing" depends on what your needs are for organizing your photographs. It might be old school, but I use Finder and a well thought out folder/directory structure. It may be old-school, but it allows me to be in complete control.

Little HZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
New Mexico
If iPhoto is not enough of an editor for you and you have photoshop (or photoshop essentials) then you don't need anything else for editing. "Managing" depends on what your needs are for organizing your photographs. It might be old school, but I use Finder and a well thought out folder/directory structure. It may be old-school, but it allows me to be in complete control.

I second deep diver's opinion on photo editing.

As for using iPhoto as an asset management program, there is a good discussion elsewhere in the forums here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/664146/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.