Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I thought it might be fun to have a weekly photo contest on the forums here, open to everyone, and judged by one member. On another forum I frequent we have it set up so that the winner of the contest gets to pick the next topic and judge the entries. It's a lot of fun and I wanted to see what the general consensus was here?

Has this been tried in the past, would anyone be interested in participating? I'll get it started if there's enough interest from the forum members!

SLC

davinche

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I don't think my skill level would be sufficient to enter any of the contests but the more opportunities I have to see the work of some of the users on this forum; I'm all for it.

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
I think its a good idea. Another thing you could do is have the one user select the top 3 photos for the theme and let forum members vote for the winner in a poll.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I think its a good idea. Another thing you could do is have the one user select the top 3 photos for the theme and let forum members vote for the winner in a poll.

Yeah, that would be a great idea too! We'll see what the general consensus is for the next day or two, if it's good (and I don't get any thumbs down from the admin) I'll start the competition off with a topic.

SLC

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I would love something like this.

Not that I'm particularly good enough to enter, but I'd certainly like to see what some of the Macrumors members can accomplish! :)

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
If y'all want I can set up another assignment tonight... it's just a matter of copying/pasting code.

Interest level?

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
I dont know if anyone will like this idea but i posted this in the "Assignment 18" thread which is suppose to be the "contest" thread. I thought we should have a real monthy contest similar to this:
...we should have 3 judges (3 different ones each month) i mean there are regulars here who would participate im sure. The thing is, like SLC said, there shoudl be a contest. People responded to that; a "contest". If you would like, I would be more than happy to host the March Contest, i think i could do a good job at managing it.
--I could be one of the judges along side 2 more
-- we will have one topic i.e. trash
-- There will be a cutoff date say march 25th where any entry after that will not be considered.
-- Afterwards the 3 judges will each choose their favorite photo, and of those three photos we can:
1) come to a consensus where at least 2 out of the 3 of the judges agree with a photo and crown it the "photo of the month" and if no one agree we can conduct a Mac Rumors Poll where the members will vote for which of the 3 photos they like most. And the votes will be tallied at the end of say March 31st

or
2) judges will each pick their favorite photo. If all judges pick the same photo, that photo will be crowned "photo of the month". If each judge picks a different one (3 different photos) or if 2 pick the same photo and 1 picks a different one (2 different photos), in both cases they will go straight to a Mac Rumors poll. (basically the whole finding a consensus deal in step 1 has been eliminated)

we could have more than 3 judges but I think three would be best...

I think this would be a fun idea, and if it doesnt work out, then we wont do it the next month. But if it does work out, then we will choose a different set of judges next month and repeat the process with a new topic.

tell me what you think.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Let's keep the contest thread here for clarity. Maybe you could set the guidelines for the rest of us to follow (and edit the thread title to remove the question mark). We can then keep separate the assignment from contest (since there isn't always an audience overlap.)

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Let's keep the contest thread here for clarity. Maybe you could set the guidelines for the rest of us to follow (and edit the thread title to remove the question mark). We can then keep separate the assignment from contest (since there isn't always an audience overlap.)

I would actually suggest starting a new thread, and making it a biweekly/monthly/whatever deal.

Perhaps title format should be similar to the assignments for easier searching? "Contest 1 - Subject (Month Year)", "Contest 1 - Subject GALLERY" (for those that don't fall w/i the time frame) and, in the future "Contest N - Subject Selection" for subject selection (if necessary).

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
OK, I think that I'll start a weekly contest. Look for the thread if you're interested in participating, I think having it be a weekly thing instead of a monthly thing will help keep the contest from falling through the cracks.

Off to decide a topic for this week!

SLC

competearound

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
competitons

There are numerous competitions that are currently going on around the world, but many of us don't know where to find them.

This prompted us to create a tool to help individuals or groups find their relative talent competitions, in one website. In

this way, anyone, from a small village to a big city, will have access to find what they want.

We offer a vairety of competitions in categories such as:

music writing, Fiction writing, Science, Art and Crafts, poetry, photography, scriptwriting, digital art and sketching, video

production, comic book design......etc and you can enter as manu competions as you like.

Please find more about the competitions in our website www.competearoundtheworld.com

Feel free to email us if you have any Questions. competeforums@gmail.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.