Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Hi. Awhile back I posted here about getting into photography, and was given some great tips. Now that its been a few months, I was hoping for some more critique/C&C on my photos. If you could take a minute to post, it would be appreciated!

My photos are posted at KevinSchaefer.net

New site, by the way.;)

NOTICE: Please choose "Albums" at the photo page, Portals are all private and are for posting original high res pictures. Flash Player required! (I'm working on a non-flash version for those people still using dial up)

Thanks!!

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Nice pictures and a nice site.

Autoviewer is a great little app, but your pictures drop off of the bottom of the page. You have to scroll down to find the play button. It's not immediately obvious.

My favourite: The water lilly

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
cookie1105 said:
Nice pictures and a nice site.

Autoviewer is a great little app, but your pictures drop off of the bottom of the page. You have to scroll down to find the play button. It's not immediately obvious.

My favourite: The water lilly

Thanks! Not sure how I can fix AutoViewer, I screen shot it and it I don't have to scroll at all. I tested it on Windows (IE) and I DID have to scroll. I wonder how I can fix this?

Here is a screen shot:

Attachments

• Picture 1.gif
    Picture 1.gif
    77.1 KB · Views: 77

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
It's not really got anything to do with IE. It's more to do with the screen res of the person viewing. /** I think **/ For example I'm viewing at 1024 x 768 on a 12" ibook. I have to scroll.

In index.html you can play with these percentage values (in red) to make it fit on screen.

Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
		var fo = new FlashObject("viewer.swf", "viewer", [COLOR="Red"]"100%", "83%", "8", "#181818"[/COLOR]);		
		fo.addParam("scale", "noscale");
		fo.write("flashcontent");	
</script>

You could also do it in your stylesheet using the #flashcontent tag.

EDIT: Whoops, I went back to have a look and you've sorted it out. Looking good!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It really is a fantastic site, but you'll be a better photographer than website designer if you keep taking photos, I'm sure. I probably shouldn't talk, since I'm not very good myself. :p I know what i like though.

If you really want to know:

Riverview Park: Photo #1 was ok. Photo #5 was my favourite of the bunch, while Photo #8 is the sort of thing I can imagine myself taking, so I like it as well. ;) It would be better without the shadows though, but oh well.

Squaw Run: Definitely Photo #1 with the waterlily. Not a huge fan of the rest.

Miscellaneous 1: Photo #1 is OK, but Photo #4 is the one that really caught my eye in this section. :) Even it's weird position in the photo doesn't bother me that much.

Miscellaneous 2: Love the colours in Photo #3. :) Photo #6 is ok.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Please don't take this the wrong way, but most of your images look underexposed to me - little in the way of shadow detail. It's just one of my things, I guess.

I love Simple Viewer, though - great app.

You should probably also have an image on the home page. I opened it up and was lost for a minute.

Web sites are amazing things - it's amazing what they have to do for people not to even think about what they are doing, but if they are impressed with the experience you have something special.

I only have a simple iWeb page with my contact info. Your's is much fancier than mine!

But most of my work is through local contacts, so if they don't like my stuff, eff em'. :p :D

Good luck.

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I also noticed that a bunch of your pics look a bit underexposed. If you are shooting digital that is not necessarily a bad thing, since shadow detail is much easier to save in digital than highlights, moreover, if you overexpose in digital, you are screwed.
In fact some DSLRs (Nikons at least) have a tendency to underexpose.

You can save most of the shadow detail with a bit of PP, both photoshop and Aperture offer a nifty Shadow/Highlight tool that will let you bring them up/down without affecting the rest of the image.

peas

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
ChrisA said:
Completely non-funtional on my browser. he images to not even display. Can't you stay with just plain old HTML and maybe tables and frames.

ditto. dead link for me

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
Wow... haha. Tables and frames. The two worst, most outdated and hated items in the world of design, and you asked for both of them at once! Eek!

Flash is a wonderful tool for displaying images and galleries when used correctly. It's 100% compatible with every browser under the sun - you just have to know how to code Actionscript correctly. Hire someone who really knows their stuff, and you can have yourself a beautiful gallery that's easier to update than any third-party software.

Just the two cents of someone who makes their living doing this stuff...

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Thank you to everyone who posted! I'll take your tips into consideration about the exposure/etc.

ChrisA said:
Completely non-funtional on my browser. he images to not even display. Can't you stay with just plain old HTML and maybe tables and frames.

Would you mine telling me what browser you're using and what exact OS it is?

Thanks Again. Kevin

PS: If anyone else has anything, please post!!:)

Edit: And yes, I am shooting digital. I am using a Canon 300d (Rebel) with an 18-55mm lens. I will probably be getting a new lens sometime soon though.
Edit 2: I'm working on getting away from the horrid tables/frames but at least for a month or so this will do.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
iGary said:
My 1D and my 20D do as well.

But you are definitely right - better to under than over.

Well, this article form luminous landscapes neatly tells you why exposing to the right - to the limit of overexposure IS important. There are just not very many shades left to paint the image if you don't.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
schaef2493 said:
Would you mine telling me what browser you're using and what exact OS it is?
It was horribly slow for me on a G4/1.67 PB 10.4.4 until I turned off airport, and plugged in instead. OK now.

Nice pictures, but as others have said, they are all a bit dark.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
clintob said:
Wow... haha. Tables and frames. The two worst, most outdated and hated items in the world of design, and you asked for both of them at once! Eek!

Flash is a wonderful tool for displaying images and galleries when used correctly. It's 100% compatible with every browser under the sun - you just have to know how to code Actionscript correctly. Hire someone who really knows their stuff, and you can have yourself a beautiful gallery that's easier to update than any third-party software.

Just the two cents of someone who makes their living doing this stuff...

Also do 'this stuff' for a living, and agree, tables and frames are a nightmare for some web design.

With saying that, Some flash sites are so un user friendly its incredible.

But in the right hands, flash is a great tool for 'fancy' gallery stuff.

BTW, clinton, love your site. Thats how flash should be used!

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2005
California
schaef2493 said:
Thanks! Not sure how I can fix AutoViewer, I screen shot it and it I don't have to scroll at all. I tested it on Windows (IE) and I DID have to scroll. I wonder how I can fix this?

Here is a screen shot:

i did not have an issue...the issue is because if you have to scroll down you just have a low monitor resolution. maybe posting smaller images...but i wouldnt.

anyways...for a tip for the water if you didnt already know you can put the camera on a tripod and put up the aperture a few notches and get that cool misty water look...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.