Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
Hay guys I just wanted to know what people honestly think of the following photograph. I have only been shooting for about 2 years now and use Aperture almost exclusively ( almost never touch photoshop ). Anyway when I was participating in Skills USA State competition ( for which I took 1st place in California for photography ) I took this photograph let me know what you think! ( a few different versions )

Version 1 (orignal is 51MPs from 11 exposures combined in photoshop) full high res version here Warning don't click unless you have at least 2GBs of ram ( its a 51MP image thats why )
4514576447_3a5dc8c5f1_b.jpg

Other versions

Attachments

• San Diego Skyline Creapy.jpg
    San Diego Skyline Creapy.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 104
  • San Diego Skyline B&W.jpg
    San Diego Skyline B&W.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 102

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
I like the full colour and the black & white one but really it's pretty hard to do any sort of critique with small images like that. Do you have high resolution versions online somewhere?

Also, was this the winning photo in the contest or was it another?

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
I like the full colour and the black & white one but really it's pretty hard to do any sort of critique with small images like that. Do you have high resolution versions online somewhere?

Also, was this the winning photo in the contest or was it another?

Alright I posted up a link to the full res version. ( I don't have full res versions up for the other two versions though )

also about the contest, they did not only rate us for our submitted photo be we also had to present our portfolio and we were interviewed.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
That's a stunning photo. It looks like you put a lot of time into making that.

As for a critique, personally I think the bridge on the left detracts from the composition. The buildings are very majestic but the bridge pulls away from that. But the colours are fantastic and I love the reflections in the water. Also, that is one of the cleanest panoramas I've seen, I couldn't find any stitch points and the buildings are sharp with now blur at all.

One more question, where was this taken? It looks terribly familiar but I can't quite place it.

EDIT, never mind. San Diego, just looked it up on Flickr.

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
great photo! i actually like the bridge there. (photo critiquing is so biased anyways). photo quality wise, yeah just like the previous poster said, super clean panorama!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
The detail in the hi-rez copy is great. It opened a 151MB PhotoShop file! The "bridge" turns out to be a fully loaded aircraft carrier...:eek:

I like the composition a lot, but I would like to see more headroom over the center buildings. If you go to the large file and zoom in, there is crap in the sky in a line above the bow of the ship. Probably aircraft lights. Clone them out and you have a great poster.

Dale

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
The detail in the hi-rez copy is great. It opened a 151MB PhotoShop file! The "bridge" turns out to be a fully loaded aircraft carrier...:eek:

I like the composition a lot, but I would like to see more headroom over the center buildings. If you go to the large file and zoom in, there is crap in the sky in a line above the bow of the ship. Probably aircraft lights. Clone them out and you have a great poster.

Dale

Thanks for this suggestion! I will clean that part of the image up. Also I thank everyone else for the tips/suggestions, keep them coming this is an nice learning experience for me thanks!

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas

Wow, you're right. I noticed the planes when I zoomed in the first time but I never actually connected it to the zoomed out version *facepalm*

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
I was looking over the image and I can't believe I never noticed but apparently there are a lot of "hot" pixels :( . I was using one of my schools camera's when I shot this ( Canon XTI with a 70-200L lens ) I usually shot with my personal camera ( in sig ) the Canon XTI seems to be a lot worse at long exposure images ( in terms of quality ) then my Sony I wonder why? I don't think I have ever had a "hot" pixel with my Sony even on 15 min exposures hmm, does anyone have an answer to this?

Woodrow72

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2008
Utah
I have seen the photo's at this competition, I have competed at nationals for Skills USA in 2 different competitions for 3 years. From what I have seen this is a good photo.

I would recommend that for this competition you have a portrait as well. Landscapes do well but portraits will stand out as well

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
I have seen the photo's at this competition, I have competed at nationals for Skills USA in 2 different competitions for 3 years. From what I have seen this is a good photo.

I would recommend that for this competition you have a portrait as well. Landscapes do well but portraits will stand out as well

Very nice advice :) nice to find another Skills USA member on the internet as well :) Great photographs BTW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.