Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
Hey All,

I'm curious what you Mac users use for editing and managing your photos. From what I'm reading, it's appears it's LR and CS3 are very popular. I'm curious why folks are so quick to abandon iPhoto. It seems like a nice app to me and it was included in the OS - ie free. Are there specific limitations you are trying to avoid?

My goal is to organize my photos in a library and have a tool for editing them. Cost isn't a huge issue, but ease of use and intimidation are. For example, I love the blemish remover in iPhoto - very easy to use.

So it seems that these are my options...

Management
iPhoto
Lightroom
Apeture

Editing
PSE
CS3
Gimp

As I said, it seems like most of you on this site use LR and CS3, but I'm not sure why so many Mac users make the switch.

Thanks in advance! :)

scr1968

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Hey All,

I'm curious what you Mac users use for editing and managing your photos. From what I'm reading, it's appears it's LR and CS3 are very popular. I'm curious why folks are so quick to abandon iPhoto. It seems like a nice app to me and it was included in the OS - ie free. Are there specific limitations you are trying to avoid?

My goal is to organize my photos in a library and have a tool for editing them. Cost isn't a huge issue, but ease of use and intimidation are. For example, I love the blemish remover in iPhoto - very easy to use.

So it seems that these are my options...

Management
iPhoto
Lightroom
Apeture

Editing
PSE
CS3
Gimp

As I said, it seems like most of you on this site use LR and CS3, but I'm not sure why so many Mac users make the switch.

Thanks in advance! :)

The new version of PhotoShop Elements includes Bridge so it could be included in the Management category too. And one could make the argument that Aperture could squeeze in the Editing category.

I'd say check out the new version of Photoshop Elements. It is nice.

SCR

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
The new version of PhotoShop Elements includes Bridge so it could be included in the Management category too. And one could make the argument that Aperture could squeeze in the Editing category.

I'd say check out the new version of Photoshop Elements. It is nice.

SCR

I agree...Lightroom only works for RAW files, so i would stick with PSE or CS3...I have CS3 extended, and i use Adobe Bridge that comes with it...and they interlink so you can edit right from Bridge, it will take you to Photoshop....a wise Aztec Statue on an amazing tv show (legends of the hidden temple anyone?) once told me, "the choice is yours and yours alone, choose wisely"

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey All,

I'm curious what you Mac users use for editing and managing your photos. From what I'm reading, it's appears it's LR and CS3 are very popular. I'm curious why folks are so quick to abandon iPhoto.

You are seeing a very biased sampling here. The average Mac user does not post in the MR Photo forum. I think the vast majority if they do photos at all are using iPhoto for both editing and organization. But that agerage user likely has a P&S camera and shoots not more than 200 images a year

Among people here who are more serious I think most use iPhoto but with the release of Aperture 2.0 I've notice a lot of people are using the 30 day free evaluation. I figure the learning curve plus the $200 price will keep most of them using iPhoto. I seems that about as many people use Lightroom as Aperture.

I wouldn't just follow the crowd. Look at how you shoot, and the number of photos you have and what kind of post processing you typically do then budget permitting, buy what you need.

I think almost everyone would be well off if they had both iPhoto and Photoshop Elements 6.0. That said I have Aperture and PS CS3

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I didn't think there was a known difference in the MR users' preference for LR or Aperture. My thought was that there were more of us using Aperture.

So as not to hijack, a poll for that info is now here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.