Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Hey guys,
I can get a good deal on either a Mac Mini w/ intel core duo 1.66ghz or 1.8ghz. I am getting back into photography(just bought my Nikon D40) and I am either going to purchase lightroom or aperture to edit my photos with. Will either Mac Mini be enough? I will upgrade the RAM to the maxium 2gig almost immediately. On a side not I will be getting a new LCD tv to display this through. Probably a 32" or 37". Thanks in advance.

-Chad

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I use my 2gb 1.66 MacMini for Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom. No problems at all for me (though Lightroom library is on an external drive). I did try Aperture when I only had 1gb, It did struggle a bit. 2gb might help, but you can always try it first.

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Well nevermind now. The refurb store had a couple I was looking at and they are all gone now. So tomorrow I am just going to go get a brand new 1.83ghz Intel Core 2 duo and install 4gig of RAM in that bad boy. :D

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Well nevermind now. The refurb store had a couple I was looking at and they are all gone now. So tomorrow I am just going to go get a brand new 1.83ghz Intel Core 2 duo and install 4gig of RAM in that bad boy. :D

Stay with iPhoto. It works well for 90% of everyone. It is easy to switch later to Aperure if you wish.

You also may want an image editor to compliment iPhoto. Adobe "Elements" works well with iPhoto. They integrate near seemlessly

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
The Mini will be fine but I hope you realize that you need Photoshop as well in order to edit images. For the Person who suggested iPhoto I think Aperture would be much better because I'm guessing he's going to want to shoot in RAW.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
GPU-related tasks are where your mini will take major performance hits. Especially when running a big tv, don't expect to run any core-image accelerated tasks like Aperture with their usual "snapiness".

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Well I just purchased my mini. I got a 1.83ghz Intel Core Duo refurb for a damn good deal. That model is upgradeable to 2gig of RAM right? Anyway, do you guys think I would be okay with lightroom or photoshop rather than aperture?

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
That model is upgradeable to 2gig of RAM right? Anyway, do you guys think I would be okay with lightroom or photoshop rather than aperture?

Yes, 2gb is fine.

Yes, photoshop and Lightroom run fine. You can download limited trial versions of CS3 (2days - unless they've changed it) and Lightroom/Aperture (30 days).

Best to try before you buy, you may hate one of the applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.