Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scubajay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Great Totham, UK
:confused:I am looking at getting some software to touch up some of the 10 bazillion diving shots we have. Being total novices when it comes to software we have no idea which is worth getting and we were looking at Aperture or Elements. I have read that elements has some problems working on Leopard and don't know enough to be able to work around stuff like that, but would appreciate some advice on some decent software that would allow us to edit/enhance etc photos. Nothing too technical as we are not super professors or anything.:D

Cheers for any tips.:)

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
Why not use iPhoto? It might be a good choice until you need to go more advanced.

It should have come installed for free on your Mac.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Aperture, because not only does it offer a good array of basic editing tools, but it is an invaluable storage tool. You don't need to worry about losing your photos because of automatic backup, and it always saves data so you can always reverse your edits.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Aperture/Lightroom are work flow tools. But have editing features built in. These tools are probably more than most people use. That said the editing tools within Elements are better and give you more options. Elements has the advantage of being cheaper.

Aperture/Lightroom also have extensive library management built in. Aperture,as it's made by Apple has the advantage of working with all the iApps, so if you want to email an image or add to a Pages document its easy (though to be honest, it really not a big selling point for me).

Aperture and Lightroom are available to trial for 30 days. Elements has a trial, but it doesn't start until 1st July.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I have to agree. I would go with Aperture or Lightroom as a workflow tool only and get Elements or something similar for editing.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Are you looking for an editing and archiving tool or just an editing tool?

If it is the former, this forum poll indicates what some MR members are using - and some of their reasons.

If the latter, you might want to consider Photoshop Elements -- it has most of the features of Photoshop Standard but at a fraction of the price!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.