Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
NJ
Any mac users here with http://www.zenfolio.com experience.

It seems to get good reviews on dpreviews.com but I have yet to find out how iPhoto friendly it is.

Thanks in advance.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
I'm using Zenfolio and haven't noticed any issues with mac compatibility. I use Aperature as opposed to iPhoto, but I honestly don't see how that would make any difference whatsoever.

Anyways, my experience with Zenfolio has been great thus far. I find the interface is generally very clean and userfriendly compared to a few others I've tried (Flickr, Smug Mug)... of course this is a matter of personal preference. The one thing Zenfolio does not have (yet) that some other sites have is the ability for visitors to leave comments... this is something that zenfolio is sorely missing... although from what i hear, it is in the works.

I say if you're worried about compatibility.. then don't worry about that. You'll have no issues. If you're having trouble deciding between the different sites, I suggest using their free trials to help in your decision.

There is a link in my signature to my Zenfolio page. Have a look and let me know if you have any questions. Now for the shameless plug... :eek: If you ultimately decide to go with Zenfolio, you can save $5 when you sign up using my referral code: 1JP-1S8-E6Z

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™

It seems to get good reviews on dpreviews.com but I have yet to find out how iPhoto friendly it is.

Thanks in advance.

I'm using zenfolio, it's great, 2 friends of mine both mac users also use zenfolio and feel the same about it, simple, hassle free & looks good ;)

iphoto, Aperture or Photoshop friendly, doesn't matter.

try the trial account.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Thanks in advance.

I've been with Zenfolio for a year and I love them. Hosting is unlimited, my own domain and their customer service is out of this world.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
I use Flickr for social networking
I use Zenfolio for the best overall presentation of photos and easiest to use
I use SmugMug to sell photos
I use Phanfare for personal/family photos/videos
I use .Mac for quick posting
I use Fotki for photo contests

Yep, I've got some hefty annual fees :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I use PBase, Smugmug and Zenfolio. Each works well for me in different ways. I especially like Zenfolio for the quick uploading and the nice gallery layouts they provide. I process my images in Aperture, then stick them in a folder labeled "To Smugmug" or "To Zenfolio" and then hop into whichever one I'm going to use and upload the images. Works a treat!

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2005
Clix Pix is right, what service you use should really depend on what your aim is. Zen, smugmug, etc are great for storing large amounts of files and sharing them.

For me the goal is display my photos and be part of an active photography community. For this purpose PBase has suited me very well. Here is what I do with mine:

http://www.pbase.com/pyanez

I think the space limitation is 400MB -- hopefully they'll move this up a bit since I'm starting to rub up against the "walls" - on the other hand having a limit is a nice way to make sure you get rid of your own weaker work - an exercise in editing if you will.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
Also important to consider is whether you plan to add IPTC keywords/tags to your photos. Some photo hosting sites don't recognize, other sites like Smugmug have a small limit to keywords. This is important for finding photos in large collections or if you want to sell stock photos.

erichian

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2007
North Texas
FlickR All the way

Had been using FlickR as one of my photo hosting sites, but since I learned I can import my photo sets into my site, without having to use an API its become my only payed photo hosting site.

I love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.