Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrRon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2016
Does the update to iOS 11 automatically reformat existing Photo Library content to the new space-saving format or do I need to do a Reset and Restore to reduce the library size?

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Does the update to iOS 11 automatically reformat existing Photo Library content to the new space-saving format or do I need to do a Reset and Restore to reduce the library size?
Neither. The new format will only be applied to new photos and videos taken on your device, if compatible.

DrRon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2016
Neither. The new format will only be applied to new photos and videos taken on your device, if compatible.

Looks like my 6 doesn’t even have the option in Camera Settings to select the HEIF format...

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
Looks like my 6 doesn’t even have the option in Camera Settings to select the HEIF format...
That’s correct. Your device can decode it (receive and view HEIF content) but can’t convert photos taken on the device. That requires hardware support unfortunately.

DrRon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2016
OK, I updated to 11.0.2 on my iPhone using iTunes reset/restore because I only had 450MB available. I updated my iPad Mini OTA. Both have the exact same Photos Library. But the iPhone reports 267MB used while the iPad reports 414MB used. What’s up with that? Phantom cache?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.