Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Recommendation for a non-confusing and efficient photo management app?

Here's what I want: CONTROL!

I absolutely hate iPhoto - I feel like it constantly does things behind my back that I neither asked for nor want. I don't want multiple copies of photos in folders I have no idea about. When I delete a photo, I want it deleted, not deleted from one folder but hanging on like an unkillable zombie forever in some other folder. I don't understand what it does and why, and I don't think I should have to read thick manuals to understand the simplest things about an app - life is too short... intuitive and simple is a design virtue.

What I need is an alternative to iPhoto.

Ideally, I'd like something like irfanview for mac. To me irfanview is totally understandable, extremely powerful, very intuitive and gives me total control.

I want to sort through photos quickly, evaluate and do simple things like resize, rename and so on in batches. Like irfanview.

So far I have not seen anything like that on the mac. I even bought for $69 an app called Photon that promised to do all these things - and was very, very disappointed: it again does things by default and gives me no control... one small example - it imports stuff automatically from a card (even if I don't want to), but when I delete photos from within Photon, it only deletes them from their internal folders ("stacks"), so you have to first export a stack to do what you want to do. In irfanview you have an option to delete either way and a million other settings - CONTROL which you don't have in any photo management program for mac that I am aware of.

Are there ANY options for decent photo management apps on the mac, or is this yet another field where the mac options are few and far between and mostly suck? TIA!

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
i agree with you about the trash, but i think apple implemented that for an extra level of security, which we dont need nwo with time machine...

but i have to totally disagree with you about iPhoto in general.
i have it set up pretty well and doesnt do anything without me asking it to...no idea what your on about exactly, perhaps more details would help?

the app has never gave me any issues and i have 13K of pictures on here now and i love it.

what is it you want exactly??

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Why not try Aperture?

Why care about disk space? The last disk drive I bout was a 1TB Seagate for $160. That works out to 16 cents per gigabyte. So you shoot RAW format on an SLR at 10MB per image. So it costs you all of 0.16 cents per image. You can store more than 5 images per penny. Don't worry about space. It's only getting cheaper.

But then with backups your storage cost can go up to nearly a penny per image when you factor in the cost of all those backup drives.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
My computers are not powerful enough for LR or Aperture (low end G4 PPC chips here, iBook and mac mini), so I never even looked into those.

Re: disk space. When you shoot RAW, files can add up pretty quickly, and my internal drive where I do my work is getting full; however, that's not the main point of deleting - I'm not looking to save space, I just want to narrow down so that I'm not drowning in useless photos in a folder so I don't have to wade through a ton of garbage to get to what I want.

Re: Apple philosophy of providing "security" - well, irfanview does the same, but gives you CONTROL and CHOICE so you can do a "one click" delete OR work like Apple.

Re: iPhoto etc. - what I like in apps, and which I don't have in iPhoto (and seldom get in mac apps in general) is CONTROL - that is, when you click on "preferences" you have TONS of options to set up things exactly as you want... that makes for efficiency. I hate the "idiot-defaults" and opaque processes that are employed by mac software - or rather, I don't mind defaults, as long as I can ultimately change and control every aspect of the app.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If you have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, it comes with Adobe Bridge. As I understand it, the latest versions of Adobe Camera Raw (which ties in to both Photoshop and Bridge) save your changes in a non-destructive format. Combined with Bridge's organizational and rating features, you might be able to put together an acceptable workflow that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.