Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thunderweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Bend OR
What app do you guys use for your photo management? I am currently using iPhoto but I just am so frustrated with how lousy the interface is (not being able to have sub folders etc...) Any free ones you guys use?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What app do you guys use for your photo management? I am currently using iPhoto but I just am so frustrated with how lousy the interface is (not being able to have sub folders etc...) Any free ones you guys use?

Are you sure you can't nest folders/albums? What version do you have? The way to use iPhoto is to allow it to group your photos by "event". But then yo have to asign keywords and comments and then use "smart albums" to pull out the righti images by content. Make as may of these as you like and then make some folders and put the smart albums into folders. The "Smart" feature will keep your images organized as long as you add the meta data.

I use Aperture. It allows any number of smart albums, projects and folders set up about any way you want to. But Aperture is basically the same as iPhoto just with many more features

You can never win using just folders and the finder. For example if you have an image of "Mary and Bob in San Diego, CA Taken Jan 2003" which folders does it go into Mary, Bob, California or Jan 2003? With the use of Smart flders it goes in all four plus about six others.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri

You can nest folders in iPhoto, you can even put Smart Albums in a folder. Make a folder by clicking the Plus Button under the Library column, give it a name and then drag and drop on the Folder you want it in... If you are trying to organize using "Events" I can see why you are so frustrated. I use Events as just a place to add Keywords once the photos are imported into iPhoto. By using Keywords to place photos into Smart Albums it's easy to find any photo or group of photo's you want with just a few key strokes. Keywords and Smart Albums works so much better than trying to remember what folder you placed a photo in. I find that by the time I drill down into a folder and it's subfolders that I can just type 3 or 4 letters of a Keyword and find the photo I want much faster.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 76

thunderweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Bend OR
Wow thank you so much Pomery! You learn something new every day:) Thanks that will be very very helpful. I guess it's just something I over looked :eek:

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
Wow thank you so much Pomery! You learn something new every day:) Thanks that will be very very helpful. I guess it's just something I over looked :eek:

I didn't care much for iPhoto to start with either and couldn't understand why other people thought it was so good, but I was still trying to make it behave like I did on a windows machine.. Once I saw the power of Keywords and Smart Albums I was hooked, no way do I want to try and Organize with just Folders again. Now I just use folders to keep my list of Smart Albums from taking up too much room in the side bar. If you notice I have a States folder and inside that is about 25 state Smart Albums that I travel in a lot..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.