Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
I resized a photo from 320/240 pix to 1024/768 pix. When I sent it on to a pc , the reviewer said it was 320/ 240 pix. The 3 box are all checked , bicubic best for smooth is checked . Why is he not getting a larger photo ?This is bugging me . I am told it's mails fault(I have mail 3.5). What am I doing wrong . These photo's are for a club competition for January . Looks like I am not going to make it .

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Perhaps you have Mail set to send a "Small" size picture, which would resize it? When you put the picture in the message there will be a small drop down menu in the lower right hand corner (I think- it's definitely at the bottom) in which you'll want to make sure it's set on "Actual size."

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
I resized a photo from 320/240 pix to 1024/768 pix. When I sent it on to a pc , the reviewer said it was 320/ 240 pix. The 3 box are all checked , bicubic best for smooth is checked . Why is he not getting a larger photo ?This is bugging me . I am told it's mails fault(I have mail 3.5). What am I doing wrong . These photo's are for a club competition for January . Looks like I am not going to make it .

I'm not sure why you'd want to submit a photo for a competition that has been enlarged like that - the quality will be severely degraded. Don't you have a larger one?

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska

Delinda,

Do you want the photos to display on a screen to an approximate size of 5" x 7" (or so)? You don't want to enlarge 320 x 240 photos so much, because they look grainy at the other side (on a computer screen). What you want to do is to size them down. For example, lest say that I have a JPEG 3850 x 2800 pixel photo, and that I want to size them for posting on the web. Some photography forums limit the size of photos to be uploaded to their Web page directly from your hard drive. For example, the photo below is approximately 765 x perhaps 480+ pixels. What I do is to size it down, save it as such, and then use PSE6 (or Graphic Converter) to "Save For Web" at the maximum quality possible within 100 kb. Elements gives you those options as you "Save For Web," but you must choose them just before you click on SAVE.
Chena092008.jpg

In a Mac screen it shows a little smaller than a PC screen, but not by much. By the way, to size photos, Graphic Converter is the application I use the most. To scale photos with GC, all you have to to is to enter one of the sizes (length, or heigh), and it automatically and proportionally sets the other side for you. Also, when "posting for web," GC can do that regardless how large the file is: it presents you with a screen and gives you the option to size it the way you want, or it can do it for you automatically.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
photo resize

I will give these methods a try . I think maybe I should have stuck to painting pictures and not taking them . This is all new to me and at my age the learning curve is steep . By not trying you never know what can be done .

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I will give these methods a try . I think maybe I should have stuck to painting pictures and not taking them . This is all new to me and at my age the learning curve is steep . By not trying you never know what can be done .

Don't worry - it all becomes pretty simple once you get used to it.

It's useful to remember that screens can show about 100 dots per inch, but printers are higher resolution at 300 dots per inch.

So in your example a 320px image would only be 3 inches across on screen, while at 1024px it's a much more usable 10 inches. A 320px image will only really give you a 1 inch across print at best quality.

Always try to preserve your pictures at the maximum resolution - and then reduce down to the resolution you require at the last moment. Resizing to increase resolution is pretty futile, since you'll never recreate 1024px of detail by enlaging a 320px image.

As miles said - you need to be careful that you tell Mail not to resize images for you. Most people don't understand resolution and image sizes, and will send enormous images by email to friends and family - so this resizing in Mail is sensible for them. For you, you need to turn it off as you intend to send a large image.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
photo resize

Perhaps you have Mail set to send a "Small" size picture, which would resize it? When you put the picture in the message there will be a small drop down menu in the lower right hand corner (I think- it's definitely at the bottom) in which you'll want to make sure it's set on "Actual size."
You may have solved my problem . Thank you . As it would would seem in most cases we over look the obvious and seek the complicated . i sent myself two samples and will send one on for the photo competition . If this works I may finally put this matter to rest . Thanks again .

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
photo resize

As miles said - you need to be careful that you tell Mail not to resize images for you. Most people don't understand resolution and image sizes, and will send enormous images by email to friends and family - so this resizing in Mail is sensible for them. For you, you need to turn it off as you intend to send a large image.
What do you mean by " turn it off " . When I send out photo's my choice's are : small/ med/ large/ actual using mail 10.5 . Is there somthing in pref. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.