Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi,

I've been doing photo restorations for some time and after your recent suggestions on a good book, i've really cut down my editing time and improved my skills.

I offer video/audio transfers and photoslideshows. Quite often, folks with slideshows will ask me if i can fix a photo. For the most part i include a price for doing that, but it's not nearly enough to properly cover the time i put into some of the photos. BUT, once people buy extra copies, which usually happens, I profit per project.

That said, i'm starting to offer a copy of each photo in full format (full scan and resolution as opposed to the lower resolution copies used for the DVD production).

But i'm torn by how to price photo restorations? I thought about offering a straight per hour editing fee, but that is not concrete in terms of how the client is charged (ie. i've been asked before - how many edits can you do per hour?). I thought about having a price per type of damage (ie. per crack is $2.00; lightening is $2.00; dust/scratches are $1.00...as examples), but then it's subjective to what is a crack or damage and what can be fixed - unless I review each photo with the client and quote a price back to them.

Or, I can have a per photo fee - $50 for example. Again, this is too subjective.

I've googled and there is no standard for pricing on this service. I know one thing - I certainly don't want to gouge my clients and i want to respect my time and skillset. I've done some wonderful restorations and they do take time.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Cheers,
keebler

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Price as a range, and then show examples. So if the range is $5-$50, show a $5, $15, $25 and $50 restoration or whatever the range steps are and gain more from doing more work and show off your skills at the same time.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Price as a range, and then show examples. So if the range is $5-$50, show a $5, $15, $25 and $50 restoration or whatever the range steps are and gain more from doing more work and show off your skills at the same time.

thanks compuwar. i might just do that and add some criteria for the different levels. ie. basic scratches or exposure vs. crack across the main subjects etc...etc...

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
thanks compuwar. i might just do that and add some criteria for the different levels. ie. basic scratches or exposure vs. crack across the main subjects etc...etc...

Just remember too many increments will hurt sales. Three or four choices are about all you want to advertise. That doesn't mean you shouldn't allow negotiation after that, but just reserve the right to modify things and slant it so they'll go for the higher price if you can.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Just remember too many increments will hurt sales. Three or four choices are about all you want to advertise. That doesn't mean you shouldn't allow negotiation after that, but just reserve the right to modify things and slant it so they'll go for the higher price if you can.

good points. i agree - the KISS Theory works for me. i won't have more than 4 at max..probably just 3 i hope.

thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.