Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
I teach digital media and video production at the high school level. Plus, I just help revive our school paper by putting it on-line and will be adding a Web broadcast. The broadcast kids have carry over into the paper, so a lot of pictures from events. Plus, I have them documenting behind the scenes.

My question is how do we get a central repository for pictures? Right now they are scattered across multiple computers in different iPhoto folders. We also have access to Aperture if need be. So, is there some sort of iPhoto/Aperture server?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I teach digital media and video production at the high school level. Plus, I just help revive our school paper by putting it on-line and will be adding a Web broadcast. The broadcast kids have carry over into the paper, so a lot of pictures from events. Plus, I have them documenting behind the scenes.

My question is how do we get a central repository for pictures? Right now they are scattered across multiple computers in different iPhoto folders. We also have access to Aperture if need be. So, is there some sort of iPhoto/Aperture server?

Apple does sell "Final Cut Server". It is designed as multi-user media storage. The name implies that it is for video but it can sstore anything, even word processing documents and spreadsheets.
http://www.apple.com/finalcutserver/

There are other third party multi-user media assets management programs

And you could roll your own if you wanted.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I use a NAS system for storage that I can access from any computer on the network. Its a Ready Nas NV+, has 4 drives that I have 1TB drives in and works really good for my needs. They have a site with lots of info here: http://www.readynas.com

haze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
I have an HP MediaSmart server at home. I was looking for something more integrated so it is easy for high school students. Final Cut Server looks like it may be what I am looking for. I can put it on the ODM Xserve.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

I like PhotoOrganizer, it's free, relatively easy to use and just requires a Linux box with Postgress and the usual Web suspects.

http://po.shaftnet.org/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.