Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I've been using iPhoto for over a year (since I moved to Mac). I really like how quick and easy and light-weight it is, but there are still a number of things I'd like to do better.

First, I'd like some selective editing. The kind of thing where you use a brush or something to de-saturate or lighten exposure to just a certain area, rather than the whole thing. I've tried this in my LR2 trial, and really like it. I also see Bibble 5 has this. (Does Ap2?)

Second, I'd like better noise reduction than what's built into iPhoto. I just find iPhoto a little rough in its approach. Same, too, with red eye reduction. I find the iPhoto red eye tool to be hit or miss, with more misses than I like. I'd love to use Noise Ninja as a plug-in for noise. Does PSE6 support a NN plug-in?

Third (and a distant third), I'd like to tinker a bit more with RAW (actually TIFFs, converted from the raw of my a650), but I am still going to mainly do jpgs. So, I don't wont this to be my focus.

Finally, I don't really want to move my library management outside of iPhoto unless I have to. I like everything else iPhoto brings to the table for basic management.

I have pixelmator, but don't find it that user friendly. I've trialed PSE6, and like some of the tools in it. I've just downloaded LR2, but it runs really slowly on my older Mac. I've also tried Ap2, which ran OK. But both Ap2 and LR2 might be overkill for what I want. Finally, I've heard a lot about Bibble Pro, but would probably look at Bibble lite.

Any recommendations for helping me try out these 3 things (selective editing, better noise reduction and red eye, and tinkering with RAW) without getting too involved in a new platform? Any one of these tools fit this criteria, or is there a good Mac-based one I'm missing?

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Noise Ninja plugs into Photoshop Elements.

It says so, right on their web page. (hint, hint) :p

Thanks. That's a fair critique (you know, RTFM and all). I'm just so overwhelmed with reading all the different tools options, I'm losing track of which one does what!

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I'm pretty much like you and I find Elements 6 to be everything I need (and then some) while allowing me to edit and keep my iPhoto organization. It's affordable too at $90 (or whatever it is exactly).

You can tell iPhoto you want to use PSE6 to edit and it will open it automatically, you edit, save, then it goes right to iPhoto library. Works great!

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I'm pretty much like you and I find Elements 6 to be everything I need (and then some) while allowing me to edit and keep my iPhoto organization. It's affordable too at $90 (or whatever it is exactly).

You can tell iPhoto you want to use PSE6 to edit and it will open it automatically, you edit, save, then it goes right to iPhoto library. Works great!

I've trialed Ap and LR (1.0 and 2.0 versions for both) and they were great and all, but I didn't want to manage in them. So, I have ordered PSE6, but Amazon messed up my order, so 3 weeks later and I have to re-order. But meanwhile, I started reading about Bibble and some others, hence my questions.

Maybe I'll just go ahead and get PSE6. Amazon had it for $69 with free shipping, so it's a good buy.

Thanks for your postings, though I'd still love to hear anyone else's thoughts.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
First, I'd like some selective editing. The kind of thing where you use a brush or something to de-saturate or lighten exposure to just a certain area, rather than the whole thing.

Get Adobe Photoshop Elements. It integrates seamlessly with iPhoto. It will do everything you want. Later if you want to move to the full up CS3 package Adobe will credit you and let you upgrade at a discount.

It sounds like you don't need Aperture

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Ap2 does not have selective editing of any kind without converting the image to TIFF first and using 3rd party plug ins.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
If you have ever considered buying a drawing tablet, most wacom tablets (bamboo fun and up) come with PSE in the box. Bamboo fun is less than $100. Just a thought.

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
If you have ever considered buying a drawing tablet, most wacom tablets (bamboo fun and up) come with PSE in the box. Bamboo fun is less than $100. Just a thought.

I thought of that, but isn't it PSE4 for Mac, non-intel native? I'd prefer 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.