Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Heh. T60 (flexview) user here, never thought that my old and discontinued laptop would still be kicking ass in thiese reviews 3 years later.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Their conclusion shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, to include the MBP product managers at Apple. What the heck were they thinking? I have a black macbook as a second computer, and its glossy display is my only major complaint with the machine. It's useless in a bright environment. Apple ought to look at what the folks at TechRestore are doing with their Mattebook modification - that seems like a more elegant solution than Apple's matte 17" option. Hopefully Apple will see the error of their ways before it's time to replace my MBP in early 2010.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Oops. Sorry. Missed that one. Although I follow the photography threads religiously. Will whip myself tonight.

I wouldn't worry about it. The review is probably of greater interest to the members of this forum than those of the MBP forum. I probably wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't posted it here.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I wouldn't worry about it. The review is probably of greater interest to the members of this forum than those of the MBP forum. I probably wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't posted it here.
I agree, but it was on the front page, which is why I saw it.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area

FWIW, there is now a second thread on this topic in that forum. I imagine there will be more, eventually. Within reason there's not much value in worrying about parallel threads (as distinct from cross-posting - like starting a thread derived from a front page rumor article which is already linked to a thread in the rumors forum, for example).

edit: heck, if you want to cut down on reposts, my vote is for the daily 'what entry level dslr body should I buy???' threads.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

Exactly.

Where was it on the front page? I don't see it on http://www.macrumors.com.

Anyway, I'm not that surprised, although I wonder how the 17" MBP compares with the W700, since they are fairly similar in physical size (except the MBP is far thinner and lighter).

Great Dave

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
not really surprising but who knows, maybe apple will read enough of these reviews and offer a matte alternative.

I wish, but I doubt it.

Apple seems to have had persistent screen issues since the last PowerBook. Apple seems so much more focused on gadgets like the iPhone.

Have you been to a Best Buy lately? I was blown away a couple of weeks ago by the PCs. Apple used to be head and shoulders (at least in my opinion) above in style and features, etc. Now it seems like my MacBook Pro (and MacBook for that matter) are altmodisch. The PCs look fantastic, offer more features for less. The only bummer is no OS X, but even that might not be that big of a deal with the way everyone is raving about Win 7 (I haven't personally used Win 7, but I am tempted).

I wish also that Apple would offer an 8-bit screen and not be stuck on 6-bit screens.

I have to say though --- a less than $300 Dell besting a MacBook Pro?!?! Sad, very sad.

And I love the built-in calibrator - wow, that is an innovation I wish Apple had come up with. Oh, well...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Copying from slashdot: see the article . I don't like the glossy screens either, fortunately I have an old mbp

That is why I'm using a White iMac. The pretty much killed the usability of the display with the indruction of the aluminum imacs. If Apple does not fix the problem I don't know what I'll do come replacement time. But it looks like they may as the latest notebook does have a anti-glare LCD as a BTO

And I love the built-in calibrator - wow, that is an innovation I wish Apple had come up with. Oh, well...
Apple used to have a built-in calibrator built into the old "Studio Display" I still have it and it still works. One of the best 17" CRT monitors ever built. (It's the one that was in the clear case.) They removed it. just like they removed the anti-glare coating on the screens, likey to save four bucks a unit.

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007
If Apple would just make a MBP with a matte screen as standard, S-IPS display, more resolution on the 15''(the 1920x1200 on the 17'' seems perfect for that screen size) and maybe an built in color calibrator, then I think Apple could be able to sell a lot of MBPs to photographers again.

Does anyone know if TechRestore can provide a silver bezel with the the matte screen instead of that hideous black bezel?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.