Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SCOR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Hello all -

Just bought a Macbook Pro because no PC could meet my mobile requirements. I'm planning on seeing how it goes and maybe completely switching over. Anyone have any input on what the real advantages of MAC are over PC with regard to photography?

If anyone is interested in seeing my photos - they can be viewed on my website:

http://www.santacruzlineup.com

thanks!

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
From a consumer standpoint, iPhoto is a pretty good piece of software; so far I have 11,000 photos in library and the only problems with the software have been my fault. :eek:

Never used Aperture, so I can't speak to that. Photoshop should be a seamless switch.

filmamigo

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto
- Competition for the pro photographer market from both Aperture and Lightroom.

- A strong culture of professional artists and creative types using the tools for their daily work.

- After I switched, I found I spent far less time managing my computer, and more time just using it.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
Photoshop should be a seamless switch.

Except for the part where you have to buy it again. Adobe considers the windows version and mac version to be different products. But in terms of using the software, it's nearly identical on the two platforms.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
Except for the part where you have to buy it again. Adobe considers the windows version and mac version to be different products. But in terms of using the software, it's nearly identical on the two platforms.

That's not true. You give them a call, you fill out a form saying you'll destroy the media and you pay shipping for new media for the Mac. There was a thread on this a few days ago.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
That's not true. You give them a call, you fill out a form saying you'll destroy the media and you pay shipping for new media for the Mac. There was a thread on this a few days ago.

Bah. That's not what they told me a couple months ago. :(

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
Hello all -

Just bought a Macbook Pro because no PC could meet my mobile requirements. I'm planning on seeing how it goes and maybe completely switching over. Anyone have any input on what the real advantages of MAC are over PC with regard to photography?

thanks!

Other than the excellent Mac human interface standards and full 64bit system, there's not a helluva lotta difference between OSX and Windows Vista in terms of the mechanics of processing/correcting/printing photos.

Both systems can be coaxed into producing the same results, assuming you have good hardware and the patience and wherewithal to solve color/software/driver/virus/malware issues in Windows.

In the simplest terms, The MacOS is designed by artists and visionaries specifically to serve the special needs of creative pros and gifted amateurs that have neither the time nor inclination to work with poorly designed or unreliable tools.
(this is analogous to choosing a specific camera for professional work; the decision is almost entirely based on functionality, with the cost and relative ubiquity of the device being of little importance.)

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
I switched from years of PC to a Mac Pro, I use Aperture as my workflow and its great so far. I recommend downloading the trial and see if it fits your needs.

iCube

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Hello all -

thanks!

Awesome website and photos!!!!! Stunning shot after stunning shot, some of the best I've ever seen! Great work!
Great idea getting a Mac!! Aside from using iPhoto to get digital camera pics to your Mac, you can also use Image Capture which is in your Applications folder. I use it often to get pics into certain folders, not into iPhoto. iPhoto eats a lot of RAM if you have thousands imported. In Image Capture Preferences, there is the area to select which app or nothing opens when you connect and turn on your camera. Your Mac, by default is set to open iPhoto when you fire up your camera.
Enjoy!
I live in Maryland and just met a guy from Santa Cruz who is working here while his girlfriend is here in school for a year, I'll have to show him your website!

SCOR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Thanks to everyone for the comments, links and suggestions. Much appreciated. iCube - thanks for the kind words.

My computer should be shipping any day now, so I'll probably have more questions during the adjustment period.

thanks again!

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Hello all -

thanks!

The advantage is that there is a more stable operating system. Otherwise, no big deal. I use Nikon Capture NX and Photoshop CS3 on this Mac, and I used the same programs on my PC. The only difference is that I haven't had the Mac crash, or choke on a big image yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.