Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebeave

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
Can those who have put in many hours retouching and printing while using the glossy displays let me know how you are faring with 1) the color accuracy of your prints after calibration and 2) the reflection?

I read the Galbraith article praising the color accuracy of the 09 Macbook Pro screens. (Yes he prefers the Matte) Would he say the same about the color accuracy of the 27" iMac?

I've been contemplating the i7 quad. I love the real estate, but the glossy screen (along w/ limited expandability are making me hesitate.) Thanks.

TRAG

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Louisiana, USA
Can those who have put in many hours retouching and printing while using the glossy displays let me know how you are faring with 1) the color accuracy of your prints after calibration and 2) the reflection?

I read the Galbraith article praising the color accuracy of the 09 Macbook Pro screens. (Yes he prefers the Matte) Would he say the same about the color accuracy of the 27" iMac?

I've been contemplating the i7 quad. I love the real estate, but the glossy screen (along w/ limited expandability are making me hesitate.) Thanks.

I've been subscribed to this thread for a while now. At first I had the same question as the OP, but I don't really need a new Mac as I already have a very capable MBP. I then decided to go for the 24" LED cinema display. I still have yet to get one, however I have full intention on doing so. You may want to browse and search the photography, peripheral, and buying forums. It may also help to look for reputable reviewers such as cnet, Gizmondo, or photography websites. Maybe B&H?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I've never used the 27", but I have used the previous 24" iMac. The problem with that was the colors looked more saturated and the screen was way too bright, even at the lowest setting.

TRAG

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Louisiana, USA
I've never used the 27", but I have used the previous 24" iMac. The problem with that was the colors looked more saturated and the screen was way too bright, even at the lowest setting.

The previous 24" iMacs are too bright. The lowest setting looks too bright at times. It seemed to me that it didn't have a good gradient from dark to light when changing the brightness. I haven't tried the current iMac models; however, I am certain that the 24" LED can go really dim. It's lowest looks to be almost off, which is perfect for me.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I have only had mine for a week or two so haven't done any extensive testing... I tend to shoot and work and not just run pointless tests :) ... it's a joy to work on for me. It's a touch bright overall but prints have been coming out just fine and prints look good online. I have no complaints with mine.

Best thing of all is seeing my raw batch files just fly by to process. With my aging Core 2 Duo macbook pro I'd have to just set batches to run when I didn't need to use my computer (2.16 with 3GB of RAM) as it was so slow... now I watch the iMac (i7) just burn through the batches of 5DMKII and 7D files (ACR via bridge usually so I can have PS working on other things)

Paul

hoya87eagle91

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
So I bit the bullet...

Nice to know the i7 rips. Boy do I want that and the big screen. But the inconsistent photo print results i've read about, the risk of a faulty screen, and the glossy screen were the deciding factors aginst it. Maybe revolution B...

In the end I skipped the i7, bot a refurb quad MP, and went with a well-priced monitor that gets excellent reviews for producing excellent prints that match the display after proper calibration - the NEC P221W. It just arrived, and this weekend I'll test it out. I pair it with my Dell FPW2005 which displays my non-critical things.

It came bundled with the proprietary NEC calibration tool and software. A bummer that I coughed up for an NEC-only calibration bundle, but i think I can live w/ NEC monitors for a while. Shutterbug magazine has mentioned it several times and gave it an extensive positive review in the Feb issue. At under $400 (monitor only) for a print accurate 22", I can spend my dough on other gear. Sure I'd like a 24" or 27" but I can't justify the extra few hundered for an equally satisfactory printing monitor. I'm curious if anyone else out there is as satisfied with their P221W.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.