Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
I am looking for software that allows you to plug in your camera to your MBP, and then take a picture, and it automatically goes to your computer.
I have NO clue what this software is called so I need help please!!!
PS: If they have this for mac, thatd be prefered but I couldnt find anything.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
You're looking for the ability for tethered shooting. The software is often specific to the camera, and not all cameras can do it. It's usually the mfgr that provides such software, so it will depend on what camera you have.

kitmos

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
Yes what kind of camera do you have? I know many of the Canon DSLR's can be tethered and I assume Nikon also.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I am looking for software that allows you to plug in your camera to your MBP, and then take a picture, and it automatically goes to your computer.
I have NO clue what this software is called so I need help please!!!
PS: If they have this for mac, thatd be prefered but I couldnt find anything.

I read that the new Image Cappture that comes with Leopard can do this. I've not tried it yet. But the docs say there is a "Take a picture" button and all you need to do is click on it. The utton should be right there with the download buttones

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
After some quick googling, perhaps you should check out "Bibble Pro Workflow Software." One page seemed to suggest that your camera was supported by that software for tethered shooting :)

Edit: You may want to do some careful reading, after looking at the site again... I'm thinking it may not support tethered shooting for your camera. Looking like it may just support RAW files from the GX-1S.
Bibble Pro

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
After some quick googling, perhaps you should check out "Bibble Pro Workflow Software." One page seemed to suggest that your camera was supported by that software for tethered shooting :)

Edit: You may want to do some careful reading, after looking at the site again... I'm thinking it may not support tethered shooting for your camera. Looking like it may just support RAW files from the GX-1S.
Bibble Pro

I can shot raw, so that would work fine. ill check it out. any other opinions would be appreciated. Again, preferably OS X lol. ill keep searchin!

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005

Bibble Pro

Damn!!!!! this would have been perfect, but it doesnt support shooting with a remote :(

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
So i found this program called Capture One Pro. It didnt work on install, but they showed a way that you can get around the install, and manually install it, so it seems to work now(havent tested with camera yet)
Im still going to search for others, but i guess for now this will work. To bad its only a 30 day trial. Oh and its in OS X

I wonder if Adobe CS3 or aperture can do tethered shooting.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
The Samsung GX-1S is a Pentax clone DSLR. I shoot Pentax and they have a program called Pentax Remote Assistant 3 and I use it to do tethered work. I'm not certain it would work with your Samsung but with the latest firmware updates it's worth a shot. It's a free download from http://www.pentax.com

SLC

glennp

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Washington, DC
PTP Mode

If your camera supports PTP mode, you can use Image Capture (and Aperture, iPhoto using automator scripts) to control your camera.

Consult your camera's documentation to see if there are multiple modes that the camera can use to communicate with the computer over USB. Some cameras have a mass storage mode, and some cameras include an option to place the camera in Picture-Transfer-Protocol (PTP) mode.

Turn the camera on and connect it to the computer. Check System Profiler (in the Utilities folder) to see if the camera is listed as connected under USB.

Open Image Capture (in the Applications folder) and see if the camera is recognized in this application.

If all goes well, you should see a "Take a Picture" button.

Here's on old link to a David Pogue posting on the subject:
http://www.g4tv.com/techtvvault/features/46131/Capture_Pics_With_Your_Browser_in_Mac_OS_X.html

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Why would you want your camera tethered to your computer with the speed of modern card readers?

Are you doing school photography for 2,000+ kids?

Please know that I'm not flaming. Just curious why you would WANT to have your camera tethered to your computer.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Because i am doing portait photography, and instead of waiting, unplugging my card and putting it into my computer, i can just have it tethered.
Its a more professional approach and easier then simply taking out the card every time to see if the picture turned out like I wanted it to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.