Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
I had the pleasure of spending all day yesterday photographing high class culinary delights. I have shoot food before during weddings but not as the main focal point; Brides always want the attention during Weddings! :)

tel_1381.jpg

tel_1403.jpg

tel_1421.jpg

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Looks tastey, especially the dim sum.

Only small critique would be that maybe being a bit brighter would be nice to really bring the food alive.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I enjoy photographing food, either using my point and shoot, or my DSLR. Most of my food photos are taken with a p&s, as I never plan on taking food photos. They're all spontaneous.

Here are a few taken with my p&s, f/2.8, ISO 400, taken at 1/25s and 1/35 seconds shutter speed. There isn't much visible noise, likely due to the brightness of the photo.

Attachments

• Sushi1.jpg
    Sushi1.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Sushi2.jpg
    Sushi2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 70

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I had the pleasure of spending all day yesterday photographing high class culinary delights. I have shoot food before during weddings but not as the main focal point; Brides always want the attention during Weddings! :)

Hopefully they let you eat some too. It looks delicious. How did you handle lighting? I like what you did - not too bright, and just enough shadow to give it texture.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Looks good.

Hopefully they let you eat some too. It looks delicious. How did you handle lighting? I like what you did - not too bright, and just enough shadow to give it texture.

Actually most food items for photography are made with "artistic methods"
thus you really can't eat most of them.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Looks good.

Actually most food items for photography are made with "artistic methods"
thus you really can't eat most of them.

Hopefully they're also made by a kitchen that can make food items for consumption. (Actually, I was a little confused and thinking the OP was photographing wedding food, which had better be fit for consumption.)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hopefully they're also made by a kitchen that can make food items for consumption. (Actually, I was a little confused and thinking the OP was photographing wedding food, which had better be fit for consumption.)

Food photography is typically:
- painted
- not cooked for consumption

(i.e a photo of turkey is probably frozen inside, painted on the outside, and charred with butane burner)

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004

I used an umbrella with the 'top' pointing down at the table to diffuse the SB-800 attached at the back. I controlled the lighting so it looked as natural as possible which was part of the brief. I used a D3 with another SB-800 attached on the top, this was used as a fill light. I had to do a few test shots to get the shadows just right.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I used an umbrella with the 'top' pointing down at the table to diffuse the SB-800 attached at the back. I controlled the lighting so it looked as natural as possible which was part of the brief. I used a D3 with another SB-800 attached on the top, this was used as a fill light. I had to do a few test shots to get the shadows just right.

Thanks, I'll have to try that out. I'm photographing some stuff for ebay at the moment (a good excuse to practice lighting technique), so I have an SB-600 behind an umbrella, plus 2 SB-800s with diffusers on stands, with everything being directed by a D700 with the flash in commander mode only. Output from everything is dialed way back, but it's brighter and less evenly lit than I'd like. Getting the SB-600 up and over the top didn't occur to me and sounds like it will do the trick on getting rid of some troublesome shadows.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Thanks, I'll have to try that out. I'm photographing some stuff for ebay at the moment (a good excuse to practice lighting technique)

One quick tip is to make sure the rest of the room is fairly dark. It was fortunate for me the room we were in was more of a function room where we couldn't be interupted. The room default lighting was dark and moody. The client was initially worried it would be too dark, but I turned it into an advantage.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
One quick tip is to make sure the rest of the room is fairly dark. It was fortunate for me the room we were in was more of a function room where we couldn't be interupted. The room default lighting was dark and moody. The client was initially worried it would be too dark, but I turned it into an advantage.

Yup, that worked. Thanks for the tips :)

heron88

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Looks good, maybe a little more bright.

I dont think any of those dishes would fill me up, and I bet they would empty my wallet!:D

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Food photography is typically:
- painted
- not cooked for consumption

(i.e a photo of turkey is probably frozen inside, painted on the outside, and charred with butane burner)

I learned the guy who shoots Chili's menus used brushed motor oil on anything that was grilled. If memory serves, it was prepared in motor oil as well.

To the OP - the photos are looking good!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.