Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
I managed to get photo credentials to All Points West. .. meaning, I get 3 songs to photograph Radiohead from 15 feet. I'm psyched.

As a brief run through, my gear consists of:

Nikon D300
Nikon D80
Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4
18-135mm f/3.5-5.6

I have a lot of experience shooting concerts, but this is, for me, the Super Bowl of concerts to shoot.

It will be at 8:30 PM. They have a pretty intense light show.

Does anyone have any suggestions for body/lens combinations/ISO settings, etc. This is ALL stuff that I know how to do, but any extra advice garnered on this particular occasion would be, for me, welcome.

ghostguts

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
After seeing Radiohead a few times, it won't be an easy shoot regardless of what settings you use, with the amazing, though erratic light show.

Check to make sure you have access to Radiohead. My friend, who is a freelance photographer in Chicago, had a press credential for Lollapalooza, but was denied access to Radiohead (only 5 or so VIP passes were given out).

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
After seeing Radiohead a few times, it won't be an easy shoot regardless of what settings you use, with the amazing, though erratic light show.

Check to make sure you have access to Radiohead. My friend, who is a freelance photographer in Chicago, had a press credential for Lollapalooza, but was denied access to Radiohead (only 5 or so VIP passes were given out).

Yep, I'm sure. They indeed do have separate photo credentials for the entire festival and radiohead specifically. I found out about the photo credentials a few weeks ago and radiohead today.

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
hummmmm.

is there a PR person you could call or email that deals with this particular event? i know alot of ppl that just call to confirm what "pro" means.

lol, so ur 19 respones on POTN wasent good enough :p

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Does anyone have any suggestions for body/lens combinations/ISO settings, etc. This is ALL stuff that I know how to do, but any extra advice garnered on this particular occasion would be, for me, welcome.

I'd go with the 24-70 on one body and the 70-200 on the other, put the 50mm in a pocket for backup. Pre-print and try to get some idea of the hyperfocal distances for each lens (at various apertures- not just the actual hyperfocal distance) for distances from 10-30 feet at a range of ISOs. Look back over your past shots for ones that you like in terms of distance and lighting- try to find ones that may be similar and look at your settings.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Actually, another question -

I have B+W filters on each of my lenses. At night, should I still use the hoods on them? I just keep noticing photographers in the pits who don't use hoods on the same lenses that I have.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
The hoods can help eliminate the huge lens flares that can pop up when shooting into stage lights, but do have a tendency to get in the way when you are scrabbling around in the pit. I normally shoot with hoods in the pit, but I seem to be in the minority. Have fun.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Typically they don't allow tripods. Monopod will work. Be mobile.

You might want to ask about flash policy.

I always use lens hoods. Less chance of lens damage. Minimize glare.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Wow. Congrats...that is freakin great. I would be completely beside myself trying to photograph them and worried about settings, shot ability, lenses. Not like you have a lot of time. Such a great band. I'm seeing them in Santa Barbara in a couple weeks.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It depends on how things are set up. I'm assuming the venue is huge, so how will things look?

1. STAGE --> audience --> photogs (5 metres back or something) --> sound crew (whatever they're called) --> and more audience?

Or is it:

2. STAGE --> photogs (from like a few feet away)--> audience alllll the way to the back of the stadium?

If it's like #1, I'd put the 70-200 mm f/2.8 on the D300, and 24-70 mm f/2.8 on the D80.

If #2, then I'd put the 50 mm f/1.4 mm on the D300, and 24-70 mm f/2.8 on the D80.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I always have the flash mounted but set to not fire. Most of the shows I have shot are no flash and I find the flash looks bad in a concert setting unless the scene at the time is lit from the front with white light only. The infrared on it helps the autofocus work when confronted with blinding lights. The screen on my 20D is pretty useless for manual focus so I am stuck using autofucus.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Congratulations. Radiohead is one of my favorite bands, I would jump at a chance to get close for photos..

In any case i would put the 24-70 on the D300, as (at least in my experience) will give you better results then the d80 at that range..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.