Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hey there,

my wife and i are headed to portugal in october at some point. first time over there so here are a few questions:

1. can i get an international power adapter to run my battery charger?
2. i have 2 lenses 18-55 and 50-200 - wondering if i should have any larger lenses for some of the scenery?
3. does anyone use those little pocket harddrives where you can put your mem stick in to copy the pics and then delete the mem stick to reuse? I'm trying to decide if that is the way to go or should i just buy an extra mem stick or 2 (currently have 1 x 2 GB stick).

On a side note, what is the weather around Lisbon in october? Wikepedia was a quick answer so i'm wondering if anyone has any personal info?

Cheers,
Keebler

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
thanks Kamera. I'm going to research those now. It's exactly what i'm thinking....nice landscapes just waiting for me to photograph them perfectly. We're going on a few tours as i understand so the opportunity will be there and i don't want to waste it! :)

To add to my original #3 question:
is this type of multimedia reader hard drive over the top?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/475665-REG/Sanho_SAHDS080_80GB_HyperDrive_SPACE_Portable.html

and also, should i have any concerns about my camera, memory card etc.. going through the xrays at customs? it won't damage anything will it?

Cheers,
Keebler

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
I dont know about the xray thing but that is the memory thing that you would want. I got one for my friend and he loves it.

MacUserSince87

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2007
Northern Virginia, USA

Check the specs. on the back of your charger. Most operate from 100 - 240V. But you will need a socket adapter. See http://www.buytravelconverter.com/portugal.aspx

2. i have 2 lenses 18-55 and 50-200 - wondering if i should have any larger lenses for some of the scenery?

Larger no, but wider would be useful. If you are a Canon user consider the 10-22mm and leave the 18-55 at home. Its sharp, has good contrast and is very light weight.

3. does anyone use those little pocket harddrives where you can put your mem stick in to copy the pics and then delete the mem stick to reuse? I'm trying to decide if that is the way to go or should i just buy an extra mem stick or 2 (currently have 1 x 2 GB stick).

I had a Digital Wallet device in the past and found it more trouble than it was worth. With the price of camera cards nowadays its more economical to just buy extra cards for a short trip. 1 GB cards seem to be very cheap. On a recent trip I found 2 x 1 GB SD cards for my wife's P&S for less than $20.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada

Check the specs. on the back of your charger. Most operate from 100 - 240V. But you will need a socket adapter. See http://www.buytravelconverter.com/portugal.aspx

Larger no, but wider would be useful. If you are a Canon user consider the 10-22mm and leave the 18-55 at home. Its sharp, has good contrast and is very light weight.

I had a Digital Wallet device in the past and found it more trouble than it was worth. With the price of camera cards nowadays its more economical to just buy extra cards for a short trip. 1 GB cards seem to be very cheap. On a recent trip I found 2 x 1 GB SD cards for my wife's P&S for less than $20.

thanks for the info. much appreciated. i'm actually looking into renting a macbook so we can webcam with the kids back home so that might negate the need for a smaller HD. time will tell :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.