Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mario.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Hi guys,
At my school there holding a special contest, where groups can independently research a topic of there own,
We must decide on a specific topic to research and hand in a proposal by the 26th of this month,
I am trying to think of a topic on photography, but seem to be brain dead,
Im wondering if any of you pros out there could help me with a topic, maybe something that includes history or future etc.
Thanks a bunch in advance!

Mario

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
go around taking snaps of people's workstation? :S I'm always looking at other's workstation cause I'm curious how people work, the design, etc etc.

Mario.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
I need a more specific Topic, i thought up of,
"How the psychology of art is related to photography"
But thinking hard about it i think it will be hard to research

Thanks a bunch for the input anyway!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I know this is a wonderful community to seek input from, but as a teacher and student myself, I have to encourage you to use your own ideas. We could easily handcuff you with something difficult without even knowing it.

Sooo What interests you about photography and how easily can that be researched? Photography is many things, including an art form and a recording device. It has a rich and interesting history, too. Look at a bunch of photos from several sources and see what in them interests you. Keep us posted on what you decide to go with.

Doing a comparison of war photography from WWII up through the present conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan would be interesting. Shouldn't have said that...:D

Dale

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Doing a comparison of war photography from WWII up through the present conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan would be interesting. Shouldn't have said that...:D

Dale

That's a bloody marvelous idea.
But just for the sake of completeness, would you tie it down to the country of origin of the photographer?

And I would even go back to the first war photography, but that may be better suited for some kind of dissertation.

Mario.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
I know this is a wonderful community to seek input from, but as a teacher and student myself, I have to encourage you to use your own ideas. We could easily handcuff you with something difficult without even knowing it.

Sooo What interests you about photography and how easily can that be researched? Photography is many things, including an art form and a recording device. It has a rich and interesting history, too. Look at a bunch of photos from several sources and see what in them interests you. Keep us posted on what you decide to go with.

Dale

Thanks for that amazing input, the reason i am entering the competition is that, if i win the school pays for me to go to london and research it further, to go museums etc.
So want something that dosent have a simple answer, something that needs a bit of research.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
I'm 'old school'... We used to call this 'thinking'...

I'm not old school, as I only graduated from college a few years ago, but I agree. If you don't come up with the idea on your own, or at least partially on your own, the topic may not interest you enough. I always found that the more something interested me, the harder I worked on it and the better I performed. I'd adivse you to try and formulate an idea, no matter how rough, and then have people help you refine it. Makes sense...do something you love in life and you'll be happy :)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Thanks for that amazing input, the reason i am entering the competition is that, if i win the school pays for me to go to london and research it further, to go museums etc.
So want something that dosent have a simple answer, something that needs a bit of research.

It's unfortunately that you want forum members to help with homework that will earn you a free trip, without doing any work yourself.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I was confused by the thread title- it is not an actual photography competition you are entering, more like a history/social science type competition?

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Is a photograph fact or fiction?

The journey to that answer might be your essay. I know it was the basis for my thesis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.