Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattrgee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2009
Hi guys,

I got a Nikon D40 last Christmas and now decided to take the plunge and do a course on photography. As previously mentioned on other threads, I am a beginner and know very little about exposure, aperture and shutter speeds etc.

I want a course that is informative and not too basic, so far I've found this:

Level 1 Photography

Has anyone taken this course? Can anyone recommend it or others?

Thanks for the help.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I think what you have there is a capable course, it won't compete against a BA of course and give you any insight into the foundations of photography but this all depends on what you want to do and how far you want to take it.

I can recommend courses in the UK, but without knowing your intentions there isn't any point at this stage.

mattrgee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2009
My intentions are simply really, I want to understand my camera and photography so that I can take professional looking pictures.

I work in IT and spend a lot of my time studying for qualifications and involving myself in the industry, some escapism would be nice. I enjoy taking pictures and have always been interested in the theory and how this is applied in the field.

Thanks.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
My intentions are simply really, I want to understand my camera and photography so that I can take professional looking pictures.

I work in IT and spend a lot of my time studying for qualifications and involving myself in the industry, some escapism would be nice. I enjoy taking pictures and have always been interested in the theory and how this is applied in the field.

Thanks.

Courses I think as the one you provided in the link above can help you understand the fundamentals, I'm always weary of sponsored courses. There isn't anything unusual about it though. http://www.parkcameras.co.uk offer a range of courses for people such as yourself.

But to take these courses and then jump to taking professional looking pictures isn't going to happen overnight. I did a BA Hons in Photojournalism and I'm still hungry for more, it takes time and patience so you have to be careful.

The ones you're looking at focus on the technical side of photography, they may not provide information on the art, culture, best practice and the history of photography. There are tons of podcasts on itunes which can give you a grounding though.

If you want to do a photography, its going to take more than the few weeks those courses offer. Do you want to go back to Uni? That is what I recommend.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Courses I think as the one you provided in the link above can help you understand the fundamentals, I'm always weary of sponsored courses. There isn't anything unusual about it though. http://www.parkcameras.co.uk offer a range of courses for people such as yourself.

But to take these courses and then jump to taking professional looking pictures isn't going to happen overnight. I did a BA Hons in Photojournalism and I'm still hungry for more, it takes time and patience so you have to be careful.

The ones you're looking at focus on the technical side of photography, they may not provide information on the art, culture, best practice and the history of photography. There are tons of podcasts on itunes which can give you a grounding though.

If you want to do a photography, its going to take more than the few weeks those courses offer. Do you want to go back to Uni? That is what I recommend.

Agreed. I learnt initially from my Dad when I was a teenager, read what I could, practised a lot, and then went on to study photography for my degree at Kent Institute of Art and Design (I did an art foundation course the year before that after my A levels).

I think it would be worth checking out your local further education colleges (not neccesarily a uni). I found this course offering beginners classes in photography for £40. You would also have the benefit of meeting like minded people and tutors you can speak to.

http://www.suffolk.ac.uk/our_courses/leisure_learning/photography

Steve-F

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
UK
Why don't you search for a night school course or a local photo club. The on-line stuff can be hard going.... much better to get together with other enthusiasts, talk to them and learn. Although they could be a bunch of boring anoraks!
Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.