Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eswank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
NorCal
Has anyone used the new unibody MBP with editing their pictures? I'm interested in getting a new MBP after my deployment but I really need to find out what people really think about them when it comes to their pictures. I've read reviews online about the new MBP's but I would like to know everyone's honest opinion with the glossy screen and their pictures. Hopefully you guys can help out. Thanks!

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Has anyone used the new unibody MBP with editing their pictures? I'm interested in getting a new MBP after my deployment but I really need to find out what people really think about them when it comes to their pictures. I've read reviews online about the new MBP's but I would like to know everyone's honest opinion with the glossy screen and their pictures. Hopefully you guys can help out. Thanks!

I had the matte screen on my old MacBook Pro, and I thought I would hate the Glossy, but in actuality, I like the glossy screen more now. As long as your not sitting in direct light, the gloss on the screen isn't bothersome. The quality of the display is fantastic, very brilliant and bright. You will however have to calibrate your screen for photo editing, as the whites are REALLY bright out of the box.

I say pick one up for sure!

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
I would love to process some pictures on my new 17" unibody. If only apple would ship the damn thing......Seriously you should go to an apple store if you can to compare the Matte and the Glossy side by side. Seems to be quite a polarizing issue. like coke and pepsi, pc and mac, coffee or tea, good or evil.

My previous laptop was a Dell studio with a very glossy screen, just as glossy as the unibodies are, and after calibration it did just fine for a laptop screen.

The problem with glossy are reflections and light reflections in the screen, so if your laptop will be taken all over the place and used in different lighting conditions where you cant control the light, you may want to consider the matte.

eswank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
NorCal
As much as I would love to go to an Apple store right now I can't. I'm currently deployed out in Afghanistan until the Fall. I'm inquiring about this because I plan to get one as soon as I get home and I just want to get everyone's perspective on it before I dish out cash on a 17" MBP.

I hope everyone gets their new 17" MBP soon so they can help me out. Thanks!

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
I have the 15" Unibody MBP and second everything Daremo says. As long as your not in direct sunlight, or working with really dark pictures in a bright environment you will be fine. The brightness of the screen really helps getting rid of glare. Most of the examples on the net that show how bad the glare is don't have the brightness all the way up it think. Would highly recommend it and make sure to calibrate the screen when you get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.