Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeoCastillo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Has this happened to anyone? My Photos app suddenly started freezing. I can open the app, see the Photos home screen, scroll up and down, but the moment I click on any photo or the search bar it freezes. Volume still works and I can force quit it.

My only workaround right now is to go to the cameras app and look at the last few photos. However, if i click "All Photos" it goes back to the Photos home screen then it freezes again when I click anything.

Obviously this isn't great. I tried a restart, a soft reset and it didn't work. My last resort is to wipe the iPhone. Any other ideas on how I can go about this?

Last edited:

ManuCH

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
What if you try to use some other app that accesses the gallery? Like Pixelmator Photo or some other photo editor app? If those manage to access it, you could try editing some random pictures and see if it fixes itself.

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Has this happened to anyone? My Photos app suddenly started freezing. I can open the app, see the Photos home screen, scroll up and down, but the moment I click on any photo or the search bar it freezes. Volume still works and I can force quit it.

My only workaround right now is to go to the cameras app and look at the last few photos. However, if i click "All Photos" it goes back to the Photos home screen then it freezes again when I click anything.

Obviously this isn't great. I tried a restart, a soft reset and it didn't work. My last resort is to wipe the iPhone. Any other ideas on how I can go about this?

How is your experience, today?

Check Settings > Photos

Are you using 'Optimize iPhone Storage', or 'Download and Keep Originals'?

With any update, it usually takes a few days for everything to settle-down. There is a lot of media analysis happening behind-the-scenes; especially-so after major updates.

I like to time my updates to when I have a few days with a stable, strong WIFI connection (home, or other).

That being said, Optimize involves a lot of "iPhone -> iCloud -> iPhone" interaction, the smoothness of which is predicated by the quality and strength of your connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.