Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eonaeon

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
Down Under
Hi All,

I am using iCloud Photo Library on my iPhone and iPad to automatically upload all my photos from those devices to iCloud.

On my Mac I can see these photos which is all good, as iCloud Photo Library is enabled.

However, on my Mac, I have chosen not to enable "Copy items to the Photos library", as I prefer to manually manage photos that I take with my mirrorless camera (due to the size and number of them). I do add some photos to to the Mac Photos App, which causes them to be "referenced" files - ie the original is stored in their original location.

This is all working ok for me, however now I'd like to copy a handful of referenced photos (not ALL of them), to be in my iCloud Photo Library.

There seems to be two places that may do the job, but it's not clear what will happen:

1. I have an album with the specific referenced photos I want to add to my iCloud Photo Library. If I right/control click that album, it has an option "Download Originals to this Mac". This is available on all albums, whether they contain referenced photos or not, and trying to find a description of this, this seems more like if you've got the photos in the iCloud Photo Library, and you have Optimise Storage enabled, this will download the original photos from iCloud to the Mac, and not "put these photos into iCloud".

2. There is a "Consolidate..." option in the File menu. I suspect this is what I want, however it is not clear whether when using this, this will copy ALL my referenced files to iCloud, or just those ones that I have selected when I choose that option. I'd prefer not to copy all my referenced files, only a select few.

Can anyone help me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.