Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmilFrom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
Hello everyone

My mother has an iMac mid 2010 with an i5-680. She uses it primarily for emails and for handling all her photos. When she hit the 40.000 photo mark I upgraded the internal HDD to a Samsung EVO 850 1TB SSD, to speed the system up a bit. But now she is up to 58.000 photos and Photos.app is just incredibly sluggish. It takes forever to start up and every time you try to edit a photo or add to an album the whole app freezes for at least a minute.

Is 50.000 photos really too much for the app/computer to handle? How many photos do you guys have?

(I clean installed the system when High Sierra came out. Other than Photos.app the computer runs beautifully. Photo editing in Pixelmator runs great and also video editing in iMovie.)

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
That's a lot of photos for that system IMO. One viable option to help the system better handle the tasks at hand might be to make multiple Photos libraries? (She would just have to hold 'Option' when clicking on the Photos icon and then click on the library desired)

leekil

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2009
That's not an unreasonable, or even atypical, number of photos to have. I have 50,000 iPhone photos from the past 4 years, and I don't even use it heavily for taking photos. The iMac should be able to handle that seems like a software performance issue Apple should fix.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
You make no mention of how much RAM it has. Have you opened Activity Monitor to look at CPU usage and Memory Pressure? While using Photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.