Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neuron1c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
Hello folks!

I have the MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 with Nvidia GeForce 750M and 16GB of RAM. My laptop has had great performance so far. However, since upgrading to High Sierra I have been experiencing terrible performance when using the Photos.app.

In particular, when I try to edit a photo (most of my files are NEF, Nikon's RAW):

- I get graffical glitches here and there, eg when cropping the image might get totally blank and I need to restart the app to get it back or when playing with the adjustment bars they start to flicker.
- Every single adjustment takes a few seconds to get processed, whereas previously this was done right away.
- When clicking the compare button it takes a few seconds to see the original.
- After doing some editing, the app almost always quits and I lose any progress made.
- Generally, for some reason the app has started to feel very heavy.

I cannot believe the processing power required by this app is so massive that brings my laptop to its knees, but I might as well as believe it in the end.

When using Iris Pro I do not seem to have any problems and the UI feels quite smooth and almost similar, if not better, to Sierra.

Could this be a problem related to discrete graffics? Any other users experiencing the same issue, perhaps with RAW files? Any possible solution?

Nvidia has recently released new drivers ( http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/125379/en-us ) and apparently some users have seen improved performance. Having not tried this before, how safe installing these drivers would be? Anyone tried?

Any help with my queries would be much appreciated!

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Hello folks!

I have the MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 with Nvidia GeForce 750M and 16GB of RAM. My laptop has had great performance so far. However, since upgrading to High Sierra I have been experiencing terrible performance when using the Photos.app.

In particular, when I try to edit a photo (most of my files are NEF, Nikon's RAW):

- I get graffical glitches here and there, eg when cropping the image might get totally blank and I need to restart the app to get it back or when playing with the adjustment bars they start to flicker.
- Every single adjustment takes a few seconds to get processed, whereas previously this was done right away.
- When clicking the compare button it takes a few seconds to see the original.
- After doing some editing, the app almost always quits and I lose any progress made.
- Generally, for some reason the app has started to feel very heavy.

I cannot believe the processing power required by this app is so massive that brings my laptop to its knees, but I might as well as believe it in the end.

When using Iris Pro I do not seem to have any problems and the UI feels quite smooth and almost similar, if not better, to Sierra.

Could this be a problem related to discrete graffics? Any other users experiencing the same issue, perhaps with RAW files? Any possible solution?

Nvidia has recently released new drivers ( http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/125379/en-us ) and apparently some users have seen improved performance. Having not tried this before, how safe installing these drivers would be? Anyone tried?

Any help with my queries would be much appreciated!
The Photos app has been rendered almost useless on my iMac by High Sierra. Everything is just slow. Delayed drags on sliders. Delayed click responses. I did a clean install of High Sierra and that did not help. I imported one RAW picture, which is currently the only picture on the hard drive, and it still runs like garbage. I can only assume this is a problem with editing RAW files. I’m on a mid-2011 with 12 GB of RAM so I was surprised to see such a huge drop in performance from Sierra to High Sierra. Another problem is that when I make edits to a RAW file and then export it as a JPG using the highest export settigs it gives me a JPG of less than 100 kB. Looks like I’ll be using Lightroom for now.

neuron1c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
The Photos app has been rendered almost useless on my iMac by High Sierra. Everything is just slow. Delayed drags on sliders. Delayed click responses. I did a clean install of High Sierra and that did not help. I imported one RAW picture, which is currently the only picture on the hard drive, and it still runs like garbage. I can only assume this is a problem with editing RAW files. I’m on a mid-2011 with 12 GB of RAM so I was surprised to see such a huge drop in performance from Sierra to High Sierra. Another problem is that when I make edits to a RAW file and then export it as a JPG using the highest export settigs it gives me a JPG of less than 100 kB. Looks like I’ll be using Lightroom for now.

Your experience is identical to my experience. Anyone else with similar problems or are we isolated cases?

How is your performance in editing RAW files with heavier programs like Lightroom?

I always felt Photos is okay for my needs and welcomed the new additions with selective colours and curves but if it fails to perform properly then I might consider purchasing something else.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Mine was fine after it finished cataloging everything and converting everything to the new file system. Have you given it a few days to do this?

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Your experience is identical to my experience. Anyone else with similar problems or are we isolated cases?

How is your performance in editing RAW files with heavier programs like Lightroom?

I always felt Photos is okay for my needs and welcomed the new additions with selective colours and curves but if it fails to perform properly then I might consider purchasing something else.
So far Lightroom is much better in terms of performance. The only lag I see in Lightroom is when I make adjustments it takes a second to change the picture. Lightroom is probably a little overkill for my needs but Photos is unusable at this point.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
2012 '13 rmbp here and my photos app has been lightning quick and smooth. The best ive ever seen in fact. I've never been able to scroll through and load images so quickly. It's strange that your 15 inch is having issues. Hm

neuron1c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
2012 '13 rmbp here and my photos app has been lightning quick and smooth. The best ive ever seen in fact. I've never been able to scroll through and load images so quickly. It's strange that your 15 inch is having issues. Hm

We are talking about RAW files. Is this your case?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.