Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
I am going to be submitting my work to a contest in a few weeks and cannot decide what pieces to enter. I need 8 shots for a portfolio and a single shot for another contest. Which ones are the best? It does not have to have a theme for the portfolio, although it certainly would not hurt. The gallery
Thanks,
-Ted

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Nice photos, javabear.

I'm a big fan of "Hands of a Painter", "First Communion Dresses", "Studio of the Aguilar Sisters", and "Atlas". Good work.

I just want to make sure that you've read all the terms of the contest carefully... I'm sure you have, but just to be sure-

Many (in fact, most) online photo contests have a little clause in the terms that claims rights to any work submitted, whether it wins or not. In other words, these companies have "contests" as a way to amass photo libraries, with which they need not ask for permission nor pay anyone to use. Sure, they'll give out a $100 purse or P&S camera to the winner like the promised, but in the end it's the photographers who submit their work that lose.

Read the terms over carefully, and be sure there's nothing like that in there. You've got good work and I'd hate to see someone use it without you receiving royalties.

And good luck!

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Virgin is cool, I like the reflection. Chairs has some nice colours and angles/lines. Hands of a painter is interesting, strong colour again. That's as many as I can keep in my head on a single pass through ;-)

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
Nice photos, javabear.

I just want to make sure that you've read all the terms of the contest carefully... I'm sure you have, but just to be sure-

Many (in fact, most) online photo contests have a little clause in the terms that claims rights to any work submitted, whether it wins or not. In other words, these companies have "contests" as a way to amass photo libraries, with which they need not ask for permission nor pay anyone to use. Sure, they'll give out a $100 purse or P&S camera to the winner like the promised, but in the end it's the photographers who submit their work that lose.
And good luck!

Don't worry, this isn't an online contest. One is the Scholastic National Art and writing award. I don't think they are going to go around selling my work. If I do win though, they will publish the photos in a magazine with my name at the bottom (which I certainly do not mind), but that is it.

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
So, it seems like quite a few people like the 5th avenue Virgin not only here, but other places too. For all you photoshop gurus, how would I go about making the church more pronounced in the image. In prints especially, the church almost completely disappears.
-Ted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.