Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juliocoutinho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
I have sign to a 2Tb iCloud for holding my ~500Gb photos and documents .

However, I want to to also keep at least two local copies of my files and photos. With files, that's easy and done.

However, with Apple Photos, it is being an year since I've been trying to re-sync my Photo Library. When I started it was something around 410Gb, now it is almost 500Gb and growing and I can't get through the synchronization process.

I have tried:
1) Start over with a zero byte new photo library on an external HD. It took 4 weeks to reach ~150Gb and then failed to a point I couldn't repair the library anymore.
2) I am trying for the 5th time to sync my last local copy synched library with 400Gb. The last 4 attempts, I have let the Macbook staying on night over night on just for the sake of syncing to happen. If needed to disconnect from external HD, I took all the care to dismount before taking the plug off. When dismounting was impossible because some weird background app was holding it (mostly apple photos background task), I was carefully waiting or, in worst cases , turning the Mac off with the OS command.

Always, always, always, always, always ... erros prevent me from finishing the process.

My Photos were carefully organized in Albuns, sub-folders, stars, etc... I just can't loose all the organizing work and download just the files.

Is there any alternative that "just works" ? Is there any other photo organizing software that could import from Apple Photos, keep the organization, and use iCloud storage?

IS there any way to make a one time full download of the Apple Photo Library? I don'y want to rely on background tasks. I want my Mac resources to focus on one big download and move forward.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
IS there any way to make a one time full download of the Apple Photo Library?

Sorry to hear you’re having these problems, @juliocoutinho .
I have a similar setup to you (iCloud storage and Photos library size).

One thought on the question I’ve quoted: maybe this is possible with Apple's relatively new privacy website. I remember reading that it allows users to request & download all of their data held on Apple servers. Could be worth looking into as there may be an option for a Photos library download…

juliocoutinho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Dear Orbital~debris, you may have just saved my life !

I am trying that approach. It will take 7 days for them to prepare the data.

I will post here the results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.