Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pakyooh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
California
I'm using Canon's DPP to do some post processing on RAW files with my macbook unibody. After getting all the adjustments done and converted to jpeg, I use the mac's image viewer to view the output file. For some reason it always turns out darker that the adjusted photo on the DPP viewer.

I knew it wasn't screen calibration issues but I went ahead and did it anyway.

This also applies to Gimp. After working on an image, the image viewer is still darker.

I have a screenshot that shows the huge difference but I would have to wait until I get home to add it. I just wanted to see if others have the same issue.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, I've noticed that in some cases. What looks OK in Aperture doesn't look as bright anywhere else, such as when I use a photo as my desktop wallpaper. It's not a calibration issue.

My advice is to trust your histogram. ;) I make sure the histogram looks good before I export.

pakyooh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
California
So would it be safe to assume that its the image viewer thats making its own adjustments (temporary)?

Yeah, I've noticed that in some cases. What looks OK in Aperture doesn't look as bright anywhere else, such as when I use a photo as my desktop wallpaper. It's not a calibration issue.

My advice is to trust your histogram. ;) I make sure the histogram looks good before I export.

pakyooh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
California
3677676838_47e413f7d9.jpg

Here's a sample of what I'm talking about. The top photo is the output jpeg opened with Image Viewer. The bottom left is the unedited raw, the bottom right is the edited raw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.