Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msim20

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
A question about RAW images and Apple Photos.

I would like to:
- shoot in RAW using a DSLR
- import in Photos
- favorite some photos and delete some photos
- for favorites would like to retain the RAW for the others would like to simply retain a jpeg that can be generated by photos

Is there a way to achieve the above workflow?
Does the workflow itself make sense for those with more experience.

Thank you!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Yes to all. I shoot RAW all the time.

Pics will stay RAW until you make an edit to them, but even then the original will be kept, so can revert back, use it.

Only "snag" that I can think of is the jpeg hitch: might need to import as RAW, select the ones you want as jpeg, export as jpeg, delete the exported RAWs, re-import the exported jpegs. Can ease that, maybe, via smart albums: rules of if imported after this date, and not favorite (then select all in the album, export; and then can delete from the album).

msim20

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Yes to all. I shoot RAW all the time.

Pics will stay RAW until you make an edit to them, but even then the original will be kept, so can revert back, use it.

Only "snag" that I can think of is the jpeg hitch: might need to import as RAW, select the ones you want as jpeg, export as jpeg, delete the exported RAWs, re-import the exported jpegs. Can ease that, maybe, via smart albums: rules of if imported after this date, and not favorite (then select all in the album, export; and then can delete from the album).
Thank you for your reply. That is what I was thinking can do.

Sharing photos with Apple photos does not share the originals with others, and that is a bummer.

As to your process, which makes sense,
might need to import as RAW, select the ones you want as jpeg, export as jpeg, delete the exported RAWs, re-import the exported jpegs. Can ease that, maybe, via smart albums: rules of if imported after this date, and not favorite (then select all in the album, export; and then can delete from the album)
may be somebody adept at scripting will create a script we can use. :)

Thank you again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.