Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juanm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Hi, I've got an assignment, but it's nothing like what I'm used to do, so I was wondering how much I should charge.

A firm wants me to shoot the pictures for their bracelet catalog. You know, those identification bracelets they give you at concerts or parties so you can get out of he party and come later.

So it would be around 40-50 bracelets x 3 different shots each. Nothing creative, just white background on two of the shots and a third shot of every bracelet being worn by someone (only a detail of the wrist).
I have free access to a photography studio, I'll be using my camera, macro lenses, and maybe my camera mounted flash to trigger the strobes.
Everything will be done in digital, and given on dvd.
Setdressing will be minimal: some neutral background behind the wrist pictures.
The thing will probably take an hour once the lightning is set up.

I haven't shot this kind of thing since years, and it was either for school, or within some project (not as a stand-alone assignment) so I'm looking for advice about the money matter. They haven't said the usual "for this job we have a small budget, but next month we'll give you a huge contract" so they're serious. :p
How much do you think it's worth?

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
a buck a pic?

Seriously, charge as much as you feel comfortable. If you feel you overcharge you have a bad feeling as long as you can remember the job.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'd consider this to be in the realm of product photography. An experienced photographer can earn as little as $75 an hour as I've come to learn from recent research on the subject. You however may not want to charge as much due to the lack of experience in this field. Product photography is not as easy as it seems. It's not just a macro shot of something, lighting it is important and controlling your shadows is even more important. However, as far as how much to charge, since it seems like you're giving a DVD of all photos and the assumption is they're printable photos I would charge an hourly rate and then a lump sum rate for basically releasing the photos and the rights associated to them.

Because you're giving the hi-res images away you've removed yourself from the opportunity to sell prints. This isn't uncommon in product photography though as I understand because who will continually re-order prints of a product shot? That's just an assumption really.

How big is the organization that is hiring you? Where or how often will the shots be used? That really puts weight into the determination as to how much to charge. I could say $50 setup $50 a hour, one hour min and $100 for the DVD but that may be too little or too much.

juanm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
a buck a pic?

Seriously, charge as much as you feel comfortable. If you feel you overcharge you have a bad feeling as long as you can remember the job.

Believe me, I don't feel uncomfortable at all when (if ever) I overcharge. :D And when I feel uncomfortable for any reason, I decline the job, unless an acquaintance really asks for it.

I'd consider this to be in the realm of product photography. An experienced photographer can earn as little as $75 an hour as I've come to learn from recent research on the subject. You however may not want to charge as much due to the lack of experience in this field. Product photography is not as easy as it seems. It's not just a macro shot of something, lighting it is important and controlling your shadows is even more important.
However, as far as how much to charge, since it seems like you're giving a DVD of all photos and the assumption is they're printable photos I would charge an hourly rate and then a lump sum rate for basically releasing the photos and the rights associated to them.
Because you're giving the hi-res images away you've removed yourself from the opportunity to sell prints. This isn't uncommon in product photography though as I understand because who will continually re-order prints of a product shot? That's just an assumption really.
How big is the organization that is hiring you? Where or how often will the shots be used? That really puts weight into the determination as to how much to charge. I could say $50 setup $50 a hour, one hour min and $100 for the DVD but that may be too little or too much.

Detailed and constructive answer, thanks!
I don't consider myself an amateur at all, the thing is it's not my field. I often work in the movie/tv business, and I know how important lightning is.
The thing is, although I used to do my product work for school in large format, and did some similar jobs later in digital, I've never done commercial product photography per se.
It's a small-mid company. The shots will be used for their 2008 catalog and website. As you said, I've absolutely no interest in keeping the rights of bracelet pictures so I better sell them as well! :rolleyes:
I have my hot glue pistol ready!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.