Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emt8q5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
hey folks,

I am doing a favor for a friend of mine and am trying to crop a picture of his granddaughter out of a photo, turn it to black and white, and isolate the child on a solid colored background. I am having trouble accurately cropping the child out of the image while keeping the edges around the baby's head smooth. I've included a screenshot to show my dilemma. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Eric

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Lasso

Do not use the magnet lasso. Use the pen tool then turn the path into a selection.

Or Hit Q to enter quickmask mode then use pant brushes to brush in the baby, then hit Q again to make it a selection.

Then you can use select-> refine edge tools to refine your edge

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
You may also have better luck by selecting the surrounding information. The green sweater should be easier to select than the baby. Also you can try viewing one of the RGB channels instead of all 3. Sometimes selections are a lot easier in one channel than the others.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Making good selection is an art. don't expect any of the automated tools to do it in one shoot. It will give yo a start then you will need to add bits and remove bits.

Sometimes selecting the background is easier, then you "invert" the selection.

Most Photoshop books have an entire chapter in selections. It's a fundamental skill that takes time to master.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.