Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
I'm trying to remove people from some scenes I shot over the weekend, and I'm using the following tutorial that was recommended on this board.

http://frederickvan.com/blog/2008/04/06/photoshop-tutorial-removing-crowds/

Unfortunately, it's almost like he's using a completely different program (He says PS3 and that's what I'm using too). Please follow along with the following side by side comparison.

The first two are his (left) and my views of the Scripts menu item. He has two more items than I do in that menu. Not a big deal, but it highlights a difference.

Follow along in the next post.

Attachments

• 1a.png
    1a.png
    288.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 1b.png
    1b.png
    614 KB · Views: 74

jwt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Next, he has the option of loading as a smart object. I don't. No big deal, since I can create one from the layers menu.

Attachments

• 2a.png
    2a.png
    251.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 2b.png
    2b.png
    530.1 KB · Views: 67

jwt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
The last and final blow that breaks the deal. I have no options to change the stack mode, so I can't do what I want to do. Help.

Attachments

• 3a.png
    3a.png
    309.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 3b.png
    3b.png
    701.9 KB · Views: 58

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
And do these small discrepancies prevent you from performing the process?

replied before I saw the 2nd post… just a sec

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The problem is that you are trying to copy the tutorial exactly. PS3 is very flexible even allowing yu to change the menus and keyboard shortcuts. Everyone sets up their system the way they like. Yes, you can make the program look very different if you want.

The way to use these tooturials is to read them and learn the concepts. If the author is worth anything at all he will say many times "There are several ways to do this A, B and C but I like D.." You want to learn the concepts, like how layers work and what is a "smart object" and so on.

I think what you are doing is atempting to skip the part about learning the basica and jump right into getting the job done. Understandable but this always leads to being tripped up by some tiny little problem.

One good way to learn the basics is to buy a subscription at lynda.com for $25 then you can watch as many hours of streming video tutorials as you can for a month. They have hundreds of hours on-line. It really is the best way, short of going back to school to learn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.